YUV to MJPEG using FX3 SDK

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JeCh_4640591
Level 2
Level 2
First like received

Hi

I am trying to use FX3 sdk in my custom CX3 based board.

I have tested several examples within FX3 SDK v1.3.4.

My board is able to run YUV Camera Preview in VGA resolution.

I also tested MJPEG stream demo as well as YUV uncompressed demo using OV5640 sensor.

Is there any example to show both YUV and MJPEG using OV5640 sensor?

I assume OV5640' YUV stream need to be converted into MJPEG using 3rd party codec?

Please let me know how to make both YUV and MJPEG using OV5640 in a CX3 module.

Many Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

JK CHA

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello JK Cha,

You can use format converter before CX3 and then feed CX3 with the MJPEG video stream

sensor > converter / FPGA > CX3 > host

Or else you can refer to Q11 of this KBA CX3 Firmware: Frequently Asked Questions - KBA91297

Please let me know if any queries on this

Regards,

Rashi

Regards,
Rashi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello JK Cha,

We don't have an example code with both YUV and MJPEG but you can generate the different project for YUV and MJPEG using the CX3 configuration utility and then merge them to get one file which will support both of them

These are the modifications which will be required

- Modification in the Class-specific Video Streaming Input Header Descriptor */ descriptors mentioning that two formats will be supported by the device

- In Class specific Uncompressed VS format descriptor the video resolution supported by each video format needs to be modified

- The probe control structures for both resolutions/formats should be included in one file

- The UVC request should be handled accordingly. That is sending appropriate  probe control structures is important

- the mipi structures generated by the tool, should be copied  into one file and called when the UVC request is to set an resolution with certain format

Please refer to this thread for some understanding of the modifications need to be done to have multiple resolutions and multiple formats.

How to support different video resolutions - AN75779

Note: This thread is for FX3 firmware but similar changes needs to be done to CX3 firmware along with adding the mipi structure to one file.

Regards,

Rashi

Regards,
Rashi

Hello Rashi

Thanks a lot for your response.

I have a question about YUV to MJPEG.

I am using OV5640 and CX3 SDK on my custom CX3 board.

The sensor outputs YUV format data only. not MJPEG format.

Should I encode YUV data into MJPEG using 3rd party codec for CX3 to output mjpeg sream?

What is your recommendation to preview mjpeg stream using OV5640 sensor?

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,

JK Cha

0 Likes

Hello JK Cha,

You can use format converter before CX3 and then feed CX3 with the MJPEG video stream

sensor > converter / FPGA > CX3 > host

Or else you can refer to Q11 of this KBA CX3 Firmware: Frequently Asked Questions - KBA91297

Regards,

Rashi

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes

Hi Rashi

Many Thanks for clarification.

I understood how to make mjpeg stream available.

I found Ascella-CX3 RDK as well as Denabola RDK.

I have to use Ascella CX3 RDK for my goal.

I assumed I am able to handle input frame to convert mjepg by S/W even though the framerate is reduced.

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,

JK CHA

0 Likes