Why the FX3/CX3/FX3S comes up as "Cypress Benicia USB Boot Device" instead of "Cypress FX3 Bootloader Device"?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
johe_1222036
Level 1
Level 1

I have the board layout with the PMODE lines connected as PMODE[2:0] = Z11, but the FX3 comes up as Cypress Benicia USB Boot Device (VID: 04B4 and PID: 00BC). I have PMODE2 not connected but there is no way for me to probe it without removing the chip completely. Is there any other issue as to why this would be happening?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

We had found a similar issue while using Slave FIFO example with GPIF II configured for 32 bits when the device enumerated as "Cypress Benicia USB Boot Device". The following thread talks about it:

Re: Why the FX3/CX3/FX3S comes up as "Cypress Benicia USB Boot Device" instead of "Cypress FX3 Bootl...

As the custom firmware loads and functions properly on the dev kit, please make sure that the PMODE lines are proper i.e Z11. Also, please refer to the following KBA to understand the possible issues due to which the board do not come up as Cypress USB Bootloader Device.

Trouble Shooting Guide for the FX3/FX3S/CX3 Enumeration - KBA222372

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
johe_1222036
Level 1
Level 1

I should also note that when I program the RAM, the device does not re-enumerate

0 Likes

Hello,

Please let me know whether you are trying to program the RAM when the device enumerates as Cypress Benicia USB Boot device? Also, please let me know which firmware you are trying to program to the RAM?

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
0 Likes

I am trying to program it when it is in Cypress Benicia USB Boot device and it says programming succeeded but never enumerates. I am trying to load a custom firmware that loads and functions on the dev kit, but with our custom board it is performing in the manner stated above

0 Likes

Hello,

We had found a similar issue while using Slave FIFO example with GPIF II configured for 32 bits when the device enumerated as "Cypress Benicia USB Boot Device". The following thread talks about it:

Re: Why the FX3/CX3/FX3S comes up as "Cypress Benicia USB Boot Device" instead of "Cypress FX3 Bootl...

As the custom firmware loads and functions properly on the dev kit, please make sure that the PMODE lines are proper i.e Z11. Also, please refer to the following KBA to understand the possible issues due to which the board do not come up as Cypress USB Bootloader Device.

Trouble Shooting Guide for the FX3/FX3S/CX3 Enumeration - KBA222372

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
0 Likes