What is the proper connection from FX3S to USB Type C?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ScBr_784201
Level 2
Level 2
First solution authored First like given

We're trying to figure out the proper way to connect a USB Type C connector to an EZ-USB FX3S SuperSpeed USB Controller (CYUSB303X).  The dev kit schematic has a Type B connector, which is simpler than a Type C.  The latter has pins for four differential pairs, and it has CC pins, among other things.  The FX3S has only two differential pairs.  I believe that we would just connect the FX3S Rx and Tx pair to the corresponding pair on one side of the connector, i.e. pins A2/A3 and B10/B11.  What I don't know about is how to handle the CC pin next to the pair.  The FX3S doesn't appear to support the Configuration Channel, but my understanding that negotiating the transfer mode via CC is important.  How is this handled?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello Scott,

Please refer to this KBA Designing FX3™/CX3-Based USB Type-C Products - KBA218460 for handling the CC line while designing FX3S based products with a Type C connector.

Note: There is a modification in the above KBA that will be updated soon. If you are using a Type C receptacle in your design, the AC coupling capacitors on the SuperSpeed TX lines should be placed between the MUX and the Type C receptacle.

Please let me know if more queries on this.

Regards,

Rashi

Regards,
Rashi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello Scott,

Please refer to this KBA Designing FX3™/CX3-Based USB Type-C Products - KBA218460 for handling the CC line while designing FX3S based products with a Type C connector.

Note: There is a modification in the above KBA that will be updated soon. If you are using a Type C receptacle in your design, the AC coupling capacitors on the SuperSpeed TX lines should be placed between the MUX and the Type C receptacle.

Please let me know if more queries on this.

Regards,

Rashi

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes

Perfect, thank you!

Scott

0 Likes