What is the difference between DFU and update?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Subhash24
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 likes given 50 sign-ins

Can anyone tell me what is the difference between DFU and update?

0 Likes
1 Solution
AliAsgar
1000 replies posted 250 solutions authored 750 replies posted

Hi,

DFU or the device firmware update is a USB Device Class that supports firmware update in DFU supported devices.

I am not sure what you meant by 'update'. Did you mean the usual vendor specific firmware update used in FX3 or the failsafe firmware update?

In DFU, if the newly downloaded firmware image file is corrupt or has some errors, then the bootloader will load the older application firmware.

Also, to support DFU, the device needs to have DFU mode descriptor sets, that is conveyed to host to make it aware of the device's capabilities of performing firmware update through DFU protocol.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AliAsgar
1000 replies posted 250 solutions authored 750 replies posted

Hi,

DFU or the device firmware update is a USB Device Class that supports firmware update in DFU supported devices.

I am not sure what you meant by 'update'. Did you mean the usual vendor specific firmware update used in FX3 or the failsafe firmware update?

In DFU, if the newly downloaded firmware image file is corrupt or has some errors, then the bootloader will load the older application firmware.

Also, to support DFU, the device needs to have DFU mode descriptor sets, that is conveyed to host to make it aware of the device's capabilities of performing firmware update through DFU protocol.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar