Using FX3 USB Superspeed in a Application with our PID/VID

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
IrAh_2291321
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

When we are using the FX3 in development everything works fine.

We have questions on switching over to our own VID/PID once we obtain a VID from USB-IF.

Currently we must program the FX3 with our APP image by using Cypress GUI “cyusb_linux” every time we power-up.

I see in the Cypress Library the routine to call that will do same and program our APP image into Fx3. But it doesn’t work.

Think won’t even compile? Once we program the efuse and have our won VID we will need to be able to program the FX3

By calling the library routine and not using the GUI cysb_linux, how do we do that?

When have own VID, does it get just programmed in when we load our own APP image?

What do we need to program the efuse? Can we do that with FX3 installed on our boards?

Do we need anything else to use the chip and ship it in systems?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

If the VID/PID is 04b4/00F3, and if you are using cyusb_linux application, then I don't think there will be any issue.

Can you please share your test procedure with more details.

Regards,

Hemanth

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Hemanth

Hi,

Based on your description, I think you are using Linux machine. Please confirm.

I see in the Cypress Library the routine to call that will do same and program our APP image into Fx3. But it doesn’t work.

Can you please let me know what above quote means? What is not working for now?

Regards,

Hemanth
0 Likes

was awhile ago but believe actually code a call to that routine and it gets compile errors, like its 

unrecognized. Thought that was just part of the way it worked with FX3 lab version chips until

bought are own USB VID from USB-IF? Once we had our own VID got some kind of update to SDK?

0 Likes

Yes, Linux version.

0 Likes
Hemanth

Hi,

When you use your own VID and PID, you are not able to program FX3. Can you please confirm if this is the problem?

Regards,

Hemanth
0 Likes

Sorry was away on vacation. When using your PID/VID (Cypress) on Linux FX3 SDK cannot program my image into the FX3 with Fx3 SDK programming routine, gets compile error, I recall? All else works.

Have to load the images manually with SDK programming dialog box.

We have an enclosed system so we would be the only access to the FX3 chips. Thinking why do we need our own PID/VID in that case.

0 Likes
Hemanth

If the VID/PID is 04b4/00F3, and if you are using cyusb_linux application, then I don't think there will be any issue.

Can you please share your test procedure with more details.

Regards,

Hemanth

Ok, sounds good. When get chance I'll try the Linux SDK load image routine again.

0 Likes

Ok solved it. Never tried the supplied SDK linux program demo:  download_fx3.cpp, But went to detailed SDK reference file: cyusb_linux_programmers_guide.pdf and used function there listed as "cyusb_download_fx3(~~). Believe this has compile errors? Maybe its not for image load into ram? Anyway, your download_fx3.cpp demo program does load the FX3 ram with an image, the routine called in there is: fx3_usbboot_download(~~). This is not listed in in the programmers guide. Was using CyUSB Suite for Linux version 1.0.5, Programmers Guide.

I cant seem to locate a solved button for this request?

0 Likes
IrAh_2291321
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hi,

Can you also provide some guidance on these questions:

When have own VID, does it get just programmed in when we load our own APP image?

What do we need to program the efuse? Can we do that with FX3 installed on our boards?

Do we need anything else to use the chip and ship it in systems?

0 Likes
Hemanth

Hi,

eFuse of the chip cannot be changed.

Please check cyusb_linux_1.0.4\configs\cyusb.conf file which contains the list of VID/PIDs that are supported by default (by host side software).

Check if this is the cause for the problem you are facing.

Regards,

Hemanth
0 Likes