USB3 SUPERSPEED

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
wjlentz
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

I need to use the cyusb3kit-003 SuperSpeed Explorer kit to develop a "logic analyzer" that writes from 16 bit parallel input to windows disk through USB3.   I have a USB2 device that takes data to a buffer, but the readout won't keep up with input.

It is simple.  I need an EXE file for execution under windows command prompt that takes data and writes to binary disk like my current unit.   I am not a programmer, so I need to find someone to do the programming.    I use a high level language to read the binary file and process it.

The web pages lead me in endless circles, and the associates list does not seem to know about the SuperSpeed device.   Short of learning binary coding which I do not have enough time to do,  I see no help. 

0 Likes
4 Replies
AliAsgar
1000 replies posted 250 solutions authored 750 replies posted

Hi,

Please refer to the below KBA for information on using FX3 (CYUSB3KIT-003) as logic analyser:
https://community.infineon.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/EZ-USB-FX3-Explorer-kit-as-16-channel-100-...

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes

Well, that is wonderful and thank you. 

How do I make the output of the USB write to a binary file instead of display it?  I assume that turning off the display is simple, and the bit pattern is meaningless as the bits are random.    I would be counting the NRZ transitions with my higher level program.

Also, I need to supply the clock externally so that the bits are synchronous.   I would be willing to pay for the changes.

0 Likes
AliAsgar
1000 replies posted 250 solutions authored 750 replies posted

Hi,

Do you mean to write the output of the FX3 for a logic analyser into a binary file?
Which clock is needed to be supplied externally?

Could you please explain your application in detail?

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

I sent an email, but this is a duplicate.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have a current production device that produces 8 bit bytes with an output synchronizing Pclock.   I would like to supply the same synchronizing data clock for the data to the FX3.   Alternatively, my device could synchronize to a PCLK supplied by the FX3. 

The way my current system runs is that I call an exe file and data is either taken continuously forever in half gigabyte buffered chunks,  or for N numbers of cycles of the buffer size of my logic analyzer either with or without a start trigger.

I paid a company to alter a logic analyzer with usb2 output to take data from two synchronized 8 bit TTL bytes and store it to binary file in windows, but USB 2 is so slow that I take data for 4 ms and then 40 ms to read out the data.   I want to improve the throughput by using USB3 hopefully for continuous streaming data.  

The current logic analyzer has the output GUI removed, and the setup parameters are read from a text file when the program starts.  The parameters include how many read cycles and the filename prefix and whether it runs when the program starts or whether it waits for a trigger.  The data rate is fixed in my hardware with a crystal oscillator that I can adjust.

The interface chip is a max3680, and there are two of them running with the same PCLK producing 16 bit output data at a fixed rate.  The circuitry that feeds these devices is flexible enough that I believe the clock rates in the FX3 are compatible.   Please see attached max3680 data sheet. 

I use IDL to analyze the binary data files as these devices are used for research in universities, and each one needs a different analysis program which is quite complicated.  Thus, the high level IDL.  There is data collected from my devices in biology, atmospheric physics, microscopy etc which conforms to no data stream standard.

The goal is to stream as much continuous two byte data to Windows 10 disk as fast as possible.  I have tested IDL on files up to 32 GB, but that is just the limit of my current machine.   I could also live with taking chunks of internally FX3 stored data reducing the 40 ms dead time for readout.

So I can generate a clock from anything on the FX3 using a phase lock loop, but I would prefer to use my current PCLK from the max3680 (same PCLK phase from both bytes) to synchronize data to the FX3.   I am quite serious about doing this change, not only because USB 3 is faster, but there is a serious supply problem with my current supplier.

I am willing to PAY to have your demo streaming program or your logic analyzer program, or another program modified to store binary files in windows 10.

Since there is a supply problem with my current vendor, I need another source, and it is only logical to improve on the streaming data speed.

If you really want to get into the weeds of this, my website is www.marinaphotonics.com.   I am counting photons which occur for all practical considerations, at random. 

Thank you for your astute questions.   If you could point me to someone who could do the software, I would appreciate it as I am overwhelmed with updated hardware (optics, laser, detector, printed circuit board) designs, and don't think that I can add learning the programming language at the same time.   I am sure that a good programmer could do what appears to be small changes in the demo software in relatively short time.
Thank you for your help.

0 Likes