Random numbers

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

is there a way to generate random numbers by facilities on the ARM9? I don't want to use the libc rand()/srand() but would rather resort to the processors native RNG, which does exist in the NXP MCU product (http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/LPC3130_31.pdf), so it might as well be present in the FX3.

If it is, is there an easy way to use it? If not, is there any other recommended way to generate a decent amount of entropy (about 4k at a shot)?

Thanks in advance,

/Markus

0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Markus,

We do not have a random generator on the FX3 silicon. The only hardware option is to set up a GPIO timer with a low period (period = range of values to be generated) and sample it to get the random number.

The CyU3PGpioSetComplexConfig function can be used as follows to set up the timer:

CyU3PGpioComplexConfig_t gpioConf = {

CyFalse, CyFalse, CyFalse, CyFalse,

CY_U3P_GPIO_MODE_STATIC,                 /* The GPIO itself is not to be affected, we just use the timer. */

CY_U3P_GPIO_NO_INTR,                            /* No interrupts associated with this timer. */

CY_U3P_GPIO_TIMER_HIGH_FREQ,       /* Run the GPIO at the high clock frequency selected at GpioInit. */

0,                                                                            /* Start timer at 0. */

RANDOM_MAX,                                              /* Set the period to the range of the numbers to be generated. */

0                                                                              /* The threshold is don't care. */

};

CyU3PGpioSetComplexConfig (0, &gpioConf);

The CyU3PGpioComplexSampleNow function can then be used to get the current timer value to serve as a random number.

Please note that the RANDOM_MAX needs to be set to a low value to be able to get good entropy.

Thanks,

Sai Krishna.

0 Likes
RaN_283461
Level 2
Level 2

I think you can also use the api CyU3PGetTime to get the system time. I do some operation on it to get a random number .

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi

who  can tell me how to convert the number of tick from CyU3PGpioComplexSampleNow  to time 

0 Likes