Question about KBA221833

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
TeMa_2997106
Level 6
Level 6
Distributor - TED (Japan)
10 likes received 10 solutions authored 250 replies posted

I want to use Winbond's SPI Flash for FX3 SPI boot.

This KBA states that "it can be used if the command set is the same".

In the SPI I want to use, the instruction command DBh is block erase (64KB) instead of sector erase. Is it compatible even in this case (can I use this SPI?)

Thanks,
Tetsuo

0 Likes
1 Solution
JayakrishnaT_76
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hello,

The flash W25Q80 can be used for FX3 SPI boot. As you might know, the control center application is used for programming the SPI flash connected with FX3. Before downloading the firmware into the SPI flash, flash erase needs to be done. Control center application assumes that the size of the sector is 64KB and sends out the command D8h to erase 64KB size on the SPI flash. From the datasheet of W25Q80, I can see that the same command (D8h) is used to erase 64KB (block erase) size on the SPI flash. Even though the terminology is different, both sector erase and block erase essentially does the same job i.e, clear 64KB size on the SPI flash. So, this flash can be used for FX3 SPI Boot. 

Also, please find the thread below where a customer mentioned that boot was successful using W25Q80:

https://community.cypress.com/t5/USB-Superspeed-Peripherals/Why-is-FX3-boot-from-Adesto-SPI-flash-no...

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JayakrishnaT_76
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hello,

The flash W25Q80 can be used for FX3 SPI boot. As you might know, the control center application is used for programming the SPI flash connected with FX3. Before downloading the firmware into the SPI flash, flash erase needs to be done. Control center application assumes that the size of the sector is 64KB and sends out the command D8h to erase 64KB size on the SPI flash. From the datasheet of W25Q80, I can see that the same command (D8h) is used to erase 64KB (block erase) size on the SPI flash. Even though the terminology is different, both sector erase and block erase essentially does the same job i.e, clear 64KB size on the SPI flash. So, this flash can be used for FX3 SPI Boot. 

Also, please find the thread below where a customer mentioned that boot was successful using W25Q80:

https://community.cypress.com/t5/USB-Superspeed-Peripherals/Why-is-FX3-boot-from-Adesto-SPI-flash-no...

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
TeMa_2997106
Level 6
Level 6
Distributor - TED (Japan)
10 likes received 10 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Jayakrishna-san,

Thank you for your answer.
It is very valuable answer for me.
I will use this SPI.

Thanks,