List of compatible 1.8V SPI Flash for FX3 boot

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Does there is an up-to-date list of  SPI Flash compatible for booting with the FX3. The one given in AN76405 is quite short.

I am after a replacement for my N25Q016 but I have trouble identifying a 1.8V SPI Flash that will work with the FX3 and which is easy to source (Farnell, Digikey, Mouser...).

The W25Q16 from Windbond seems to fit the bill but I would like confirmation. I might buy one and try to drop it into one of the FX3 design I have...

Regards.

Etienne

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can use M24M02 which is well tested and we have used the same in the FX3 CYUSB3KIT-003 kit. 

We have not checked W25Q16, so please make sure that it supports the same read and write command as mentioned in the FX3 datasheet else Flash read write may not work. 

FX3 can work with Flash with following spec:

 Read data: 03h with 3-byte addressing  Read Status register: 05h  Write Enable: 06h  Write data (Page Program): 02h  Sector Erase: D8h

SPI flash/EEPROM devices from 1 Kb to 32 Mb

SPI frequencies supported during boot are ~10 MHz, ~20 MHz, and ~30 MHz

Operating voltages supported are 1.8 V, 2.5 V, and 3.3 V

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

I replaced the M25P40 on my FX3 development kit with a W25Q80EWSSIG and it seems to have worked (The "Sector erase" command point to "64KB Block Erase" on the winbond).

I will try some Macronix parts once I got the samples.

0 Likes