How to add USB3/PD to an FX3 device

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
scott14468
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First solution authored First reply posted

Hi All,

I am starting a project that will require at least 100W of power being delivered to a USB 3 Superspeed device using the FX3.  How does one add PD capability to such a device?  I've read through all the information on this site and it appears that all the controllers are tailored to the host/PC side of the problem not the device side.  I also found knowledgebase article that claims to show a schematic of PD added to an FX3, but between the schematics being too blurry to read and the schematic not appearing to contain a PD interface I am left confused.

Thanks for your help,

Scott

0 Likes
1 Solution
AliAsgar
1000 replies posted 250 solutions authored 750 replies posted

Hi Scott,

Infineon provides a range of USB PD controllers. Please look at the given link : https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/universal-serial-bus/usb-c-power-delivery-controllers/

They find their applications as a PD source in notebook, dock designs and it can also be used as a PD sink for USB devices when configured appropriately.

CCG3 has also been used for a similar application in PSOC6 evaluation boards.

Note : FX3 is a superspeed peripheral controller and cannot provide PD capability on its own. The knowledge base article which you are referring mentions steps to add Type C functionality to FX3 and not PD.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
AliAsgar
1000 replies posted 250 solutions authored 750 replies posted

Hi Scott,

Infineon provides a range of USB PD controllers. Please look at the given link : https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/universal-serial-bus/usb-c-power-delivery-controllers/

They find their applications as a PD source in notebook, dock designs and it can also be used as a PD sink for USB devices when configured appropriately.

CCG3 has also been used for a similar application in PSOC6 evaluation boards.

Note : FX3 is a superspeed peripheral controller and cannot provide PD capability on its own. The knowledge base article which you are referring mentions steps to add Type C functionality to FX3 and not PD.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes