How to Make parallel video to uvc converter using FX3 solutions ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
kakeh
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Hi,

I am new to the community

i have an objective of bringing the Analog Camera video feed to USB via FX3 chip solutions

for conversion of analog video to parallel format i have decided to use ic like ADV7282A series which takes  PAL /NTSC video and converts it to parallel video with sync and clk outputs

kakeh_0-1641800406756.png

Post this i would like to use a infinenon solution to grab the data and create a video class node on linux , so that i can be universally used for any kind of linux based SBC as a PAL frame grabber based on USB ouput

Kindly suggest.

0 Likes
1 Solution
AliAsgar
1000 replies posted 250 solutions authored 750 replies posted

Hi,

Any 8/16/24/32 bit parallel video can be streamed through FX3. 

For UVC application, along with the parallel data input, there has to be a VSYNC (FV), HSYNC (LV) and PCLK. If these signals are present, AN75779 firmware can be used with FX3 without much modification (sensor registers to be modified).

Otherwise, the GPIF state machine has to be modified according to the interface signals between FX3 and the decoder/sensor.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

View solution in original post

23 Replies
AliAsgar

Hi,

For the ADV7282A series other than the ADV7282A-M series, FX3 can be used. Please have a look at the AN75779 application note and the firmware given in the below link. Modify the sensor.c, sensor.h, uvc.c and uvc.h file accordingly.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/universal-serial-bus-usb-power-delivery-controller/periphera....

If the ADV7282A-M series is in use, this product has MIPI output. For MIPI input, CX3 can be used to convert the video feed from MIPI to USB.

Could you explain a bit more on what you meant by the last two lines.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes
kakeh
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for your fast response.

i understood that

CX3 Faimily will conver MIPI to UVC

FX3 Family will convert 8bit data to UVC

1. do you have any reference designs which have already done the data conversion of parallel or MIPI image data to UVC ?

2. which is faster and best for my requirement being a beginner to the infineon environment ? (bringup and realization time for hardware and software), below is my requirement in detail

I only require my NTSC/PAL video of resolution 640x480 or less which comes at 30fps or less need to be converted to UVC output

essentially the UVC output which will connected to a ARM64 based linux system (In my case a Jetson Platform from Nvidia)

as the chip is UVC compliant i am assuming i should be able to open the video class device in linux with out hassle.

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi,

1. In the link below there is a AN75779.zip folder which contains the reference firmware that converts parallel video data from image sensor to UVC. 
There is also an application note with the same number (AN75779), that gives details about the firmware.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/universal-serial-bus-usb-power-delivery-controller/periphera...

2. Both FX3 and CX3 have ready firmware that can be used with them for this purpose. The sensor files (sensor.c and sensor.h) will have to be modified according to the image sensor module with you.

There are developmental kits and interconnect boards that can be used to interface FX3/CX3 with an image sensor.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/universal-serial-bus-usb-power-delivery-controller/periphera....
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/universal-serial-bus-usb-power-delivery-controller/periphera...

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes
kakeh
Level 2
Level 2

1. I Hope you have seen the AN75779, inside it there is  reference to APTINA sensor interface but the board of sensor is obselete, do you haven any other alternative

2. In case of CX3, a reference design of Thine ISP is shown which is THEIA-CAM , can you share that reference design , which means schematic to recreate with IC that is adv7282-m and make a PAL to UVC baord.(we have already done a NDA with Thine FYI)

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi,

Aptina has come up with a new board, with the same sensor but different connectors. We have an interconnect board compatible with this new aptina sensor also.
https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/cyusb3acc-004a/.

In case of THEIA-CAM, please speak with Thine for the schematics. You can post your need on the below link:
https://www.thinesolutions.com/support-request

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes
kakeh
Level 2
Level 2

1. Kindly provide reference to buy the aptina board, i could not find one

2. I have decided make a board using adv7282A and FX3 ,will i be able to make a data converter easily ? or should i need extra FPGA ? 

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi,

1. Please contact Onsemi for the aptina board.

2. Does the chip output Frame valid and Line valid signals along with the data and clock?

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes
kakeh
Level 2
Level 2

1. The Board is Obsolete

2. It has LLC pin instead, i am not sure can FX3 understand it.

kakeh_0-1642836850144.png

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi,

Regarding the aptina kit, we are discussing the issue internally and will let you know when we have details on it.

The video follows BT.656 standard. The GPIF state machine of AN75779 firmware doesnt support this protocol. You will have to create your own firmware and GPIF 2 state machine for this application. Here is thread link that may help you :
https://community.infineon.com/t5/USB-superspeed-peripherals/bt-656-USB-bridge-with-FX3/m-p/188191

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi,

I had contacted OnSemi for details on the aptina kit, this is their reply.

"As per our ordering system, the MT9M114EBLSTCZH3-GEVB is fully Active sensor board.

Regarding quotation, availability and product lead time for this evaluation board please contact one of our authorized distributors. Please find their contact details at the link below.

https://www.trustedparts.com/en/search/MT9M114EBLSTCZH3-GEVB

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

kakeh
Level 2
Level 2

its clear form the link that, converting bt656 is not that straight forward

do you have any clear or straight forward solution using FX3 or CX3 to convert PAL video to UVC with out much hassles ?

instead of MIPI can we interface a parallel video to the FX3 chipsets ? 

can you let me know what is correct way ?

I have seen an alternate decoder from TI which is TVP5150AM1-EP, it has HSYNC and VSYNC signals, can it be used ?

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi,

Any 8/16/24/32 bit parallel video can be streamed through FX3. 

For UVC application, along with the parallel data input, there has to be a VSYNC (FV), HSYNC (LV) and PCLK. If these signals are present, AN75779 firmware can be used with FX3 without much modification (sensor registers to be modified).

Otherwise, the GPIF state machine has to be modified according to the interface signals between FX3 and the decoder/sensor.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

kakeh
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for the clarity,coming to the IC i have picked TVP5150AM1 it has almost all signals you have mentioned that is FV,LV but i am quite confused on availablity of PCLK, it has a output called SCLK which is 2x times the PCLK, which is a concern

TVP5150AM1 Ultralow-Power NTSC/PAL/SECAM Video Decoder datasheet (Rev. E) (ti.com)

Let me know how to deal this.

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi,

A frequency divider can be used with the SCLK, and PCLK (SCLK/2)can be fed to the FX3.

Surfing through the internet, I landed upon one more decoder, which gives output according to the interface signals of FX3. Please have a look at it.
https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/MAX9526.pdf.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes
kakeh
Level 2
Level 2

No the suggested maxim chip has bt656 output where HS and VS are embedded in data, it may not be best fit, your clock divider suggestion i shall keep on hold, i shall search and come back to take your decision 

0 Likes
kakeh
Level 2
Level 2

From my survey i found TVP5150AM1-EP data sheet, product information and support | TI.com  is best fit.

This version of IC has the PCLK output directly including HSYNC and VSYNC

i shall come back to same thread once my schematics are completed.

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi, 

If possible, could you create a new thread for schematics with a new thread subject? It will help other users of the community who have a similar query.
Be assured that you will get a response to any thread you create on the community. So feel free to create a new thread for a new subject.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes
kakeh
Level 2
Level 2

Now that i have finalized TP5150AM-EP with required signals, now i have doubt on interfacing to Jetson plaftorms, does the FX3 drivers work on Jetson platforms ? if so kindly let me know how to do it.

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi,

Please go through this KBA. https://community.infineon.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/LINUX-Drivers-for-USB-Devices-KBA87010/ta-...

As the operating software on a Jetson platform is based on a Linux based OS (Ubuntu), FX3 gets bound to the libusb driver of the linux. You can try giving a "lsusb" command in the terminal after connecting the FX3 device. It should automatically come up as a Cypress Device.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes
kakeh
Level 2
Level 2

But will they work for ARM64 Platforms ? its not just x86 Linux platform, the sdk can create a arm64 app ?

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi,

We have not tested on an ARM64 setup. It should work if the eclipse and the compilers work on this platform.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes
kakeh
Level 2
Level 2

Can you please confirm from your software teams, whether the FX3 can really be used for ARM platforms, i am not sure if eclipse runs on arm64

is there a possiblity we can cross compile fx3 linux drivers completely for arm64

as this is a time taking exercise, i dont wish to waste time by making board and then fail as driver are not being available.

You guidance is appreciated.

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi,

We haven't tested FX3 on an arm64 platform. But I think FX3 can be used on an ARM64 platform.
1. https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/ Eclipse is supported in ARM64.
2. https://developer.arm.com/tools-and-software/open-source-software/developer-tools/gnu-toolchain/gnu-... ARM cross compilers are supported in ARM64.
3. libusb is also available on the web for arm64 platforms.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes