Flash for firmware and permanent storage

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
aleb_4846776
Level 2
Level 2
5 likes given 5 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Hello!

I am using CYUSB2014 with S25FS064 to store the firmware. To my understanding, the storage capacity is way bigger than what is needed for the firmware.I want to use the flash to store some other parameters. I know I should not store them in the same place as the firmware, but what are other precautions and consderations I need to take? Is it safe? Is the firmware loaded only at startup?

Regards

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

SPI Flash on the FX3 is mainly used to store application firmware or a second stage bootloader. FX3 has a ROM bootloader to boot on startup.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AliAsgar
1000 replies posted 250 solutions authored 750 replies posted

Hi,

The ROM bootloader boots from SPI flash when the PMODE pins are configured for the same. This happens whenever FX3 undergoes hard reset or a power up.

SPI flash can be used to store other information along with the firmware image. Make sure you are neither writing nor erasing the sector/page where the firmware is present.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar 

Thank you for your response.Is there any information on what flash sectors and sector size the bootloader uses? I mean, what part of the address space is occupied by the firmware?
0 Likes

Hi,

SPI Flash on the FX3 is mainly used to store application firmware or a second stage bootloader. FX3 has a ROM bootloader to boot on startup.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar