FX3 with SD card

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
dasuc_3814096
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 questions asked

Hello,

I already brought FX3 board and I am planning to add an external SD card connection to the board, taking the schematic of SD card connection in the FX3S as a reference for the circuit implementation as well as the RAID 0 example from the code examples.However I am not sure whether the SD/MMC controller in the FX3S board block digram is a hardware device or software program?  will the FX3 works with this assumptions of adding external sd card adaptor?? Any advice in adding a memory to the FX3 board?

0 Likes
1 Solution
SrinathS_16
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hello,

FX3S includes two storage ports which are implemented in the hardware. In order to implement the SD card interface on the FX3, the GPIF II state machine has to be designed to implement the mass storage protocol over the SD/MMC interface.

Best regards,
Srinath S

View solution in original post

9 Replies
SrinathS_16
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hello,

FX3S includes two storage ports which are implemented in the hardware. In order to implement the SD card interface on the FX3, the GPIF II state machine has to be designed to implement the mass storage protocol over the SD/MMC interface.

Best regards,
Srinath S

Thanks for your reply,

Is there any reference design that I can follow regarding the implementation of mass storage protocol over SD/MMC interface?

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hello,

Please find the attached schematic which can be used as a reference.

Best regards,
Srinath S

0 Likes
dasuc_3814096
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I am using the same schematic as a reference to connect the FX3 board with SD/MMC card in order to add external storage. Just want to know how could I redesign the GPIF II state machine to implement the mass storage in sd card? any suggested example code which would be helpful?

0 Likes

Hello,

Cypress does not provide mass storage examples using FX3 since it does not have a storage port. The mass storage examples that come with the FX3 SDK/ Application Notes are intended for FX3S which has got two storage ports which can implement the SD/MMC interface.

Best regards,
Srinath S

0 Likes
dasuc_3814096
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for your reply,

I mean will it works for FX3 if i add SD/MMC card adaptor to form the two storage ports same as the schematic of FX3S SD CARD?  I am planning to implement it with FX3SRaid0 example code. Can it be done in this way?

kind regards.

0 Likes

Hello,

The mentioned design would not work because the storage port present in FX3S handles the mass storage protocol over the SD/MMC interface. This is implemented in the FX3S hardware. FX3 does not have a storage port and hence does not support the SD/MMC interface. Please consider porting the device from FX3 to FX3S for storage applications.

Best regards,
Srinath S

0 Likes

Hello,

Referring to your reply, the storage ports in FX3S is a hardware base therefore handling the MSC over SD/MMC interface will not apply in FX3 .However, is it possible to integrate the mass storage controller by software inside the FX3?   By implementing the two independent storage ports cores in software. How about connecting SD card through SPI interface? Will it be supported by FX3 to be used for storage?

kind regards.

0 Likes

Hello,

FX3 cannot be used for mass storage handling directly as it does not have the hardware support. In case you want to use SPI interface for the SD-card, the mass storage handling has to be taken care in the firmware but we do not have an example implementation for the same.

Best regards,

Srinath S

0 Likes