FX3 usb control center features

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
neptun
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hello everyone,

I'm planning to buy CYUSB3KIT and build USB link. I searched a few hours for knowledge what exactly usb control center can (or cyusb on Linux) but I don't have clear information. I'm bulding link for testing USB connection in various environments (for example in noise, various quality of wires etc.) and I need to send data and then check if received data are valid. I plan on testing in FS, HS and (if it succeeds) SS speed. Perfectly if application allows me to send known amount of packets with known data (in bulk transfers I saw incrementing 32bit integer) periodically (for example every 5 seconds) - then I can define when USB connection is better or worse in which environment (based in isochronous transfers on data correctness rate). I care about isochronous and bulk/interrupt (with CRC) transfers. I'd like to use examples prepared by Cypress with minimum alterations if possible to my use. My host will be likely Raspberry Pi 4B. 

I saw example with bulk and isochronous loopback and also srcsink but no solution for host-to-device transmission with checking data in FX3 device. So I likely use loopback with usb control center/cyusb. But if it allows to make loopback isochronous transfers to-file? And if incrementing 32bit integers means that incrementing values are sending one by one in next packets or use full bandwith to transfer it?

Can I please for informations / screenshot what I can do in usb control center / cyusb?

I also may consider other solutions with that. I am new in USB and FX3.

Thank you for read my message. Sorry if I sorry if I confused it.

Regards, Tom

0 Likes
1 Solution
AliAsgar
1000 replies posted 250 solutions authored 750 replies posted

Hi Tom,

Please install FX3 SDK for Linux from the given link : https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-usb-fx3-software-development-kit.

It has the details about the cyusb_linux application used for programming firmware.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
AliAsgar

Hi Tom,

Please install FX3 SDK for Linux from the given link : https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-usb-fx3-software-development-kit.

It has the details about the cyusb_linux application used for programming firmware.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes

Thank you for reply, I will check that.

When I was reading about windows 10 IoT core I found that it supports only UWP applications, so I suppose that USB control center and other applications like streamer won't work on that system?

0 Likes
neptun
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Finally I installed cyusb_linux. I see that for isochronous transfers it could only send packets when I click "send' and there is no option for save output to file and constantly sending incrementing values. There is the same for windows's usb control center?

Regards, Tom

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi Tom,

Regarding the USB Control Center and streamer on windows 10 IoT core, kindly look at all the posts in the given thread link : https://community.cypress.com/t5/USB-Superspeed-Peripherals/CYAPI-on-Universal-Windows-Platform/m-p/....

For USBIsoSrcSink firmware project, I am able to save the Isochronous transfer data values (incremental) from FX3 into a file on the host using windows control center. I will try doing the same using  cyusb_linux and let you know the results.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

In cyusb app for isochronous I don't see any button with save to-file.

Btw it's strange that after installing cyusb (so also libusb and qt4 and g++) xserver goes wrong (graphical environment doesn't start - on cinnamon and mate), but I solve that. 

There is CLI (console) app in cyusb_linux_1.0.5/src named "09_cyusb_performance". It seems (functionality) similar to streamer. Maybe is chance to use that, but question is how it's work and which image on FX3 is necessary? My need is to check streamed data periodically, so if app check data, there is only necessity to save result of checking to file (numbers of success packets every specific time period).

Regards, Tom

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi Tom,

In cyusb app, there is no save-to-file button for isochronous transfers. The source code is open,  changes could be made to the application as required.

From your response i understand that you want an application that can act like streamer, and also stores the data in a file. Is my understanding correct?

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes

Hello

Something like that. One side sends known data and other side receive and save it (to check - incremental data allow check correctness and know time when failures occurred).

Best if one side sends for example 1000 packets (may be less than max packet size) in 1s (for FS, in HS/SS will be shorter) and wait 4s and repeat. And second side of link save transfered data. It should support FS, HS and SS speed. But if typically streamer awaits for data all the time, so this might won't work ( I saw that driver reenumerate device after 64 failures in 1 second). 

Probabbly the best solution is to write own app with cy api but I'm unfortunately short with time, that's why I searched examples.

Regards, Tom

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi Tom,

I understand your application.

You could modify the 09_cyusb_performance.cpp code to log the files that are transferred. That should hopefully fulfill your requirement.
Please try the above and let us know if you have any further queries.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes