FX3 device driver changed to "DTU device with FX3" after Windows Update

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WiWo_1983446
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First question asked First reply posted

Our device uses the FX3 controller chip, running in Windows 10.

The device always comes up with "Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader Device" in Device Manger after system boot up.

Lately, many installations reported seeing "DTU device with FX3" in Device Manager after Windows update.

How do we stop this from happening?

1 Solution
17 Replies
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello,

I understand that the device is in USB boot after Windows Update. If yes, please check the VID/PID of the device. If the VID: PID is 0x04B4: 0x00F3 then please check if the latest official release version of the driver (1.2.3.20) is binds to the device. 

If not, please uninstall the device from device manager and bind the driver manually as per 1A of this KBA  Trouble Shooting Guide for the FX3/FX3S/CX3 Enumer... - Infineon Developer Community  

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Chris100
Level 1
Level 1
First like given First like received 5 replies posted

Hi Rashi,

I work with WiWo and wanted to expand on the issue.   We already know how to correct it, we just don't know how to prevent it from happening to all our systems in the field. 

The issue is that after Windows updates it is identified as a "Dek Tec Digital Video B.V" instead of a Cypress Bootloader device.   We have had this happen to around 15 systems already and sometimes it occurs on systems that have already been corrected once.  I noticed that Windows thinks this is the appropriate driver for the device when checking for hardware optional updates.  This happens to devices that even have the latest driver installed (1.2.3.20).

I have attached some pictures for your reference.  Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris

0 Likes
Rashi_Vatsa

Hello,

Please share the snippet of the hardware ID (device properties > details > hardware Ids) when the device is getting detected wrongly.

Also, let me know the windows version (after update)

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes
lock attach

Hey Rashi,

Please see attached.  version 22H2

0 Likes
Rashi_Vatsa

Hello,

Please let me know the build number of the OS.

Also, is it possible for you to share the .inf from the "Dek Tec Digital Video B.V"  driver?

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes
lock attach

Hello,

Please let us know when do you get the options (shown in Driver Updates. jpg) shared by you.

Also, please confirm if you have any software from DekTec Digital Video installed on to your PC

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes
lock attach

Sorry, I'm not getting email notifications for some reason.   I have seen it happen on different builds but this particular one was 19045.2965.   I would be happy to grab the inf for you.  Do you know where it would be located?  When I go into driver file details in the device manager it shows a DotDat.ctl , Dtu311_1.dat & a DtBb2.sys.

I checked and there is a folder in C:\windows\system32\drivers\DriverData\Dektec\DtBb2\DotDat the the .ctl & .dat files.

We don't have any software from DekTec.  I had never heard of them until this driver started popping up.

Edit:   Found it!  I had to zip it to be able to upload it.

Rashi_Vatsa

Hello,

Thank you for the details.

Please use USBView to check all USB devices in the system to see if anyone of the devices is using Dek Tec's drivers/name

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes

I don't see any reference to Dek Tec but this is what USB view looks like when the Cypress device isn't working.

DTU USBVIEW.JPG

0 Likes
Rashi_Vatsa

Hello,

Apologies for the delay in response.

Thank you for the confirmation that you do not see any devices in USBView with Dek Tec driver/name except the issue with FX3. 

Is it possible to take a fresh PC with similar Windows build and check if the issue is seen? or clear all the hidden devices (related to FX3 VID:04b4 PID 00F3) from the device manager (Device Manager > View > Show hidden devices) and then connect Fx3 to check if the issue still persists

Meanwhile, I will also try reproduce the issue at my end

Regards,
Rashi

Hello,

I just want to confirm everything Chris100 reported and that we are facing the same problem on different Win10 computers.

0 Likes
Rashi_Vatsa

Hello,

The issue is seen as the DekTec driver is having the "Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader Device" VID/PID (0x04b4 / 0x00F3). We have reported it to DekTec and they have acknowledged the issue and initiated driver removal from Windows update.

Regards,
Rashi

That is great news.  Thank you!

0 Likes

Hello,

The DekTec driver is removed from the Windows update. Please check.

Regards,
Rashi

Hi,

the driver was removed.

Thank you!

Rashi_Vatsa

Hello,

Thank you for the confirmation.

Can you please help with the Windows update date? This will be helpful for other community members

Regards,
Rashi
lock attach
Chris100
Level 1
Level 1
First like given First like received 5 replies posted

My previous post disappeared.  Hopefully it's not because of the attachment.  The build of this particular PC is 19045.2965 but I have seen it happen on varying builds. 

We have never used or heard of a Dektec device before this driver issue. 

0 Likes