FX3 JTAG with custom KMDF driver

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I am trying to use JTAG debugging with a custom KMDF driver but it does not work.

Using the same FX3 firmware (just changing Vendor ID/Product ID to be Cypress and using Cypress driver) I can run the JTAG debugger successfully.

Is there a special request to execute to enable the JTAG?

Any idea what can be wrong?

Thanks, Malikcis

0 Likes
2 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which JTAG tool are you using? 

We have seen Segger JTAG to work fine. Also, if you have FX3 explorer kit, we have an on-board Cypress USB serial chip:  this has a USB to JTAG interface. The serial chip binds to Cypress driver and can be used for the same. 

Which JTAG device are you using? Are you changing the VID/PID of the FX3 or of the USB -serial (JTAG) device? Once you change the VID/PID  which driver is it binding to ? Before you changed the VID/PID which driver the tool was binding to? Please let us know these details so that we can analyze the cause of the error.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the feedback.

>>Also, if you have FX3 explorer kit, we have an on-board Cypress USB serial chip

we are using EZ-USB® FX3™ Development Kit (CYUSB3KIT-001)

>>Which JTAG device are you using?

I am using olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h Jtag cable.

>>Are you changing the VID/PID of the FX3 or of the USB -serial (JTAG) device?

In the "bulkLoopAuto" example I change from cypress;

0xB4,0x04,                      /* Vendor ID */
 0xF0,0x00,                      /* Product ID */

to our custom Vend/Prod ID:

0x94,0x1D,                      /* Vendor ID */
  0x41,0x06,                      /* Product ID */

>>Once you change the VID/PID  which driver is it binding to ?

to our own KMDF driver. This is not a generic driver and it does only expose a reduced set of functionaity: Bulk transfers and Vendor commands.

>>Before you changed the VID/PID which driver the tool was binding to?

to CYUSB3.sys and the device is visible as "cypress USB bootloader" in the USB control center.

0 Likes