FX3 I2C EEPROM boot from 256KB ATMEL AT24CM02

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
charlie
Level 1
Level 1
5 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

Hello,

Could you confirm if AT24CM02 256KB EEPROM can be used for FX3 I2C boot?

Did Cypress do any testing with any 256K Atmel memories?

Thanks you!

0 Likes
1 Solution
JayakrishnaT_76
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hello,

Please refer to the I2C EEPROM boot section of the following Application Note:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AN76405_-EZ-USB_FX3_FX3S_boot_options-ApplicationNotes-v12_00....

If the EEPROM is compliant to the features mentioned in the Application note, then it can be used for FX3 I2C boot.

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
JayakrishnaT_76
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hello,

Please refer to the I2C EEPROM boot section of the following Application Note:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AN76405_-EZ-USB_FX3_FX3S_boot_options-ApplicationNotes-v12_00....

If the EEPROM is compliant to the features mentioned in the Application note, then it can be used for FX3 I2C boot.

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
0 Likes

Hello,

Thank you for the answer.

Could you elaborate about which features in the Application Note you are referring to?

We want to make sure that in I2C boot with USB fallback (F1F) with bImageCTL set to 6, the FX3 bootloader can handle an 256KB ATMEL EEPROM.

The picture below is from section 5.3 Boot Image Format. There is no mention of 256KB Atmel.

charlie_0-1660600186268.png

0 Likes

Hello,

The Bit 3:1 in bImageCTL is used to indicate the internal addressing used by the I2C EEPROM to read/write data from/to it. If your EEPROM has an addressing which is equivalent to the ones shown in the table, then you can use it. For example, if the addressing of 256K ST electronics is same as 256K ATMEL EEPROM, then you can make use of it. Otherwise, it is not possible.

Also, by "features", I meant to refer to the complete I2C EEPROM section of the Application Note. Guidelines to choose EEPROM compatible to FX3 and its derivatives are mentioned under this topic of the Application Note. 

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
0 Likes

Hello,

Is the bootloader source code available? It would be helpful, in case of failure, to have visibility into the firmware.

0 Likes
The bootloader is whatever the FX3 chip was shipped with. We have not changed it.

Theresa
0 Likes

The question was whether or not the source code of the bootloader is available?

0 Likes

Hello,

The bootloader source code is confidential. It cannot be shared.

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
0 Likes