EZ-USB® GX3 as USB port replicator

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
alidman
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi

Is there any design examples or documentation on how to use EZ-USB® GX3 as USB port replicator.

For example, I want to connect remote USB device via ethernet cable (point to point) to PC that will think that a USB device was connected and will activate the USB driver for the remote device

Best Regards

Alex

0 Likes
1 Solution
JayakrishnaT_76
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

EDITTED FOR CLARITY

Hello,

A port replicator is a device used to quickly connect multiple peripherals to a laptop over one USB port. It is similar to a docking station.
The target application "Port replicator" in the datasheet means that GX3 can be used as a component in Port replicator/dock designs for providing ethernet connectivity. Please refer to the following reference designs (of docking stations) which makes use of GX3 for providing ethernet connectivity:

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3-usb-type-c-charge-through-dongle#...

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg4-usb-type-c-monitordock-solution

The block diagram shared in this thread cannot be implemented using GX3. This is because GX3 is a vendor class USB device and it can only communicate with a USB host that runs an Operating System and has a GX3 Driver specific for that OS. It is not possible to establish a communication between GX3 and another USB device.

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
JayakrishnaT_76

Hello Alex,

As you might be knowing, GX3 is a USB device and it cannot be used as a USB host. Please elaborate your application so that we can check if we have any design examples or documentation related to your application.

We are confused with the following description in your original query:

"For example, I want to connect remote USB device via ethernet cable (point to point) to PC that will think that a USB device was connected and will activate the USB driver for the remote device"

Based on this, what we understand is that a USB device will be connected to the USB interface of GX3 and the ethernet interface of GX3 will be connected to the PC. Please confirm if our understanding is correct or not. If our understanding is not correct, then please let us know about the USB host to which GX3 would be connected in your application. It would be great if you can share a block diagram of your application so that we can understand it better.

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi

Thank you for quick response

Please see attached image. My intention was to use two devices (GX3 or maybe simpler device) to transfer USB over ethernet and than to convert it back to USB so my host will think he is connected to real USB device.

Maybe I misunderstood the definition of USB port replicator?

Best Regards

Alex

0 Likes
JayakrishnaT_76

Hello,

Please let us know if you are looking forward to replace both the USB to Ethernet Blocks in your block diagram with GX3. Also, please let us know why do you want to have a double conversion (i.e from USB to ethernet and again from ethernet to USB) in this design. Why is the USB device not directly connected to the USB host instead?

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
0 Likes

Hi,

Yes, I want to replace both "USB to Ethernet" blocks with GX3 device (or any other  simpler solution).

I need these solution because my device is far away from the host

Best Regards

Alex

0 Likes
JayakrishnaT_76

Hello Alex,

The block diagram shared in this thread cannot be implemented using GX3. This is because GX3 is a vendor class USB device and it can only communicate with a USB host that runs an Operating System and has a GX3 Driver specific for that OS. It is not possible to establish a communication between GX3 and another USB device.

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
0 Likes

Hi

Thanks anyway.

So can you please explain me  what does it mean "USB port replicator" that is written in datasheet under Target applications description?

Best Regards

Alex

0 Likes
JayakrishnaT_76

EDITTED FOR CLARITY

Hello,

A port replicator is a device used to quickly connect multiple peripherals to a laptop over one USB port. It is similar to a docking station.
The target application "Port replicator" in the datasheet means that GX3 can be used as a component in Port replicator/dock designs for providing ethernet connectivity. Please refer to the following reference designs (of docking stations) which makes use of GX3 for providing ethernet connectivity:

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg3-usb-type-c-charge-through-dongle#...

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg4-usb-type-c-monitordock-solution

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
0 Likes

Hi

Thanks a lot for your support

Best Regards

Alex

0 Likes