EZ-USB FX3 for single LVDS asynchronous signal to USB

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ShaunV
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hi,

I have time continuous 500 Mbit/s single LVDS differential pair that I have to sample at 1 Gsps and save on a USB external HD. Would it be possible to use one of the interfaces on the EZ-USB and set it up so I could press record on it and sample whatever was coming in on the LVDS signal? I want to save the samples in a binary file of a 10 TB external HD so should be able to get 10,000 samples as a maximum. Does anyone know if this is feasible with the EZ-USB?

Cheers,

Shaun

0 Likes
1 Solution
YiZ_31
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hi Shaun,

Yes, this is not something difficult. As I have replied in another thread, you don't need a FX3 to do that. To fully utlize the ability of FX3, you can directly connect two GPIF interface of FX3. One serve as slave fifo host and another as slave. We have an application note for that: 

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an87216-designing-gpif-ii-master-interface

Regards,
Eddie

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
YiZ_31

Hi,

Currently, we do not have any product support LVDS. 

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes
ShaunV
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hi Eddie,

Did you see my other post "Data over UART - EZ-USB FX3" I don't necessarily have to use LVDS. I was wondering if I could have my own components with one of the boards connected to my laptop acting as a USB to UART interface to send known data, then at the receiver have another board to go UART back to USB and onto a laptop/external HD. Does this sound sensible and easily implementable using the FX3 and it's readily available SW and FW?

Cheers,

Shaun    

0 Likes
YiZ_31

Hi Shaun,

Yes, this is not something difficult. As I have replied in another thread, you don't need a FX3 to do that. To fully utlize the ability of FX3, you can directly connect two GPIF interface of FX3. One serve as slave fifo host and another as slave. We have an application note for that: 

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an87216-designing-gpif-ii-master-interface

Regards,
Eddie

0 Likes