Do I need to enable the GPIF II DLL

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
mialc_1106291
Level 4
Level 4
10 questions asked 50 sign-ins 50 replies posted

Hi,

We are using the GPIF II peripheral to transfer data with a Spartan 7 FPGA in synchronous slave mode. Originally, we had the FPGA source PCLK. However, after performing a timing analysis we found that we cannot guarantee timing at 100 MHz when the FPGA is sourcing the clock and that it's easier to meet timing if the FX3 sources the clock. As a result, we modified our GPIF design and FPGA Logic such that the FX3 sources the clock. The interface type is still set to "Slave" in the GPIF II designer. I found that communication works at 50 MHz but we start to see timing issues with the control signals at higher frequencies.

I looked at the SRAM master example that is distributed with the FX3 SDK and found that it calls CyU3PPibDllConfigure to enable the DLL. KBA210733 implies that I need to enable the DLL but it's unclear to me if the DLL should be enabled in our design because the KBA states "Interface clock driven by FX3 (Synchronous Master mode)". However, our GPIF design has the interface clock driven by the FX3 but the interface type is set to slave. The FPGA logic is being used to select the address (thread) and we want it to remain this way, which means we cannot change the interface type to master. Please tell me if I need to enable the DLL and if so, which settings I should use.

Thanks,
Michael

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Michael, 

DLL is not needed in sync slave mode of FX3 even if it is driving the PCLK. The DLL adds a phase to the clock in order to follow the interface timings.

The master can take care of the interface timings. Hence, DLL is not required for sync slave with internal clock.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
AliAsgar
1000 replies posted 250 solutions authored 750 replies posted

Hi,

If the DLL is not enabled, the FX3 can still output CLK on the PCLK line. So, please try disabling DLL and check if transfers happen.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes

Hi AliAsgar,

The DLL is disabled by default, isn't it? If that's the case then we already have the DLL disabled. I'm asking if we should be enabling it and if we need to enable it to transfer data at the maximum rate.

Thanks,
Michael

0 Likes

Hi Michael, 

DLL is not needed in sync slave mode of FX3 even if it is driving the PCLK. The DLL adds a phase to the clock in order to follow the interface timings.

The master can take care of the interface timings. Hence, DLL is not required for sync slave with internal clock.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes