Common sensor and frame rate for CX3

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JaYu_1341641
Level 1
Level 1
Welcome! First question asked First reply posted

Hi Members!!

My customer is planning a USB camera. purpose is home security.

Customer's rough target spec is 3M sensor with 30 frame. but you know CX3 can't support 3M w/ 30 frame

As the design is very beginning stage, and they don't have much information,

Customer is wanting us to provide sensor list that are working fine with CX3.

and also they want to know what are the common frame rate with those sensors.

Your advise will be great help for them to fix the design concept.

Thank you in advance!!

Thanks.

Heather Yu.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

You can set the MIPI configuration using the MIPI configuration Utility that comes along with FX3 SDK. Once the configuration is set properly, the tool automatically produces the project source files which can be added to your project. The detailed steps that are to be followed for using the MIPI configuration utility can be found in section 4.4 of EzUsbSuite_UG.pdf which comes along with FX3 SDK. Please refer to this document for better understanding.

Once the files are added to your project, you need to add the image sensor configuration settings. This is to be added in imagesensor.c file.

We have some example projects that are provided along with FX3 SDK. You can find them in the following location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\firmware\cx3_examples

Note: The path depends on the installation directory of the FX3 SDK.

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

View solution in original post

13 Replies
JayakrishnaT_76
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hello,

It is possible to stream 3M at 30fps in YUY2 format using CX3. You can find that this is supported by Ascella kit which is an Reference design kit using CX3.

Below are some of the RDKs developed by using CX3. Please go through it to find more about the sensor used, supported resolution and frame rate.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/tania-cypress-cx3-socionext-isp-referen...

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/ascella-cypress-cx3-thine-isp-13mp-refe...

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/development-kitsboards/denebola-usb-30-uvc-reference-design-ki...

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

Hi Jayakrishna

Thank you for your prompt response.

Sorry that I didn't give you much information on this project.

There's no ISP between sensor and CX3.

Will be connected to sensor directly and Image sensor output signal is YUV 422 16bit.

Image should not be compressed.

In this case, we understand that 2M at 30 frame is possible.

Customer wants to know popular sensors and frame rate.

please advise.

Thanks.

Heather

0 Likes

Hello,

Can you please let me know how many MIPI data lanes you are using for this project?

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
0 Likes

Hello.

They are using 4 lanes.

Thanks.

Heather

0 Likes

Hi,

3M resolution at 30fps can be streamed using CX3. Please find the below sample configuration for the same.

Regarding the image sensor, as mentioned above the RDK that we have which has image sensor directly interface with CX3 is Denebola. Image sensor used in that RDK is OV5640 which supports only 2 lanes. We have tested OV5640 with the below Resolutions and Frame Rate.

A) Super Speed USB 3.0:

1) 2952 x 1944 @ 15 Frames per second.

1) 1920 x 1080 @ 30 Frames per second.

2) 1280 x 720  @ 60 Frames per second.

B) High Speed USB 2.0:

1) 640 x 480   @ 60 Frames per second.

You can contact Omnivision for 4 lane equivalent sensor.

Please find the sample configuration for 4 lanes below:

pastedImage_0.png

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
GlJe_1688511
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor
100 sign-ins 10 likes given 50 questions asked

Hello Jayakrishna.

Can I see it with the general viewer even if I set up like above?

Should the customer make customized viewer?

Thanks and Best regards.

Glenn.

0 Likes

Hello,

The data formats that are supported by UVC driver can be viewed using general viewers. In your case the data format is YUV 422 16bit which is supported by the UVC driver. Hence there is no need for a customized viewer.

Note: Regarding my previous response, it is just an example configuration when you use a 4 lane sensor. The actual configuration can change depending on the parameters of sensor(blanking time, active time etc). If the sensor can output the data using the same parameters as mentioned in the previous snapshot, then it is can be used. Otherwise, the tool should be modified with the parameters supported by the sensor.

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
0 Likes
GlJe_1688511
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor

Hello.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Sensor output format is YUV, but, CX3 firmware format is RGB.

pastedImage_0.png

Each format different.

Is just the input of the CX3 a RGB24?

Is the firmware a YUV2?

Thanks and Best regards.

Glenn.

0 Likes

Hello,

The configuration is such that the MIPI receiver accepts data in YUV format but the parallel output data is 24 bits (RGB24). By doing so, the MIPI receiver packs bits from two adjacent pixels and transmits it into the host application. The descriptors will be set for YUV format. Thus, the host application finds that the data is in YUV format.

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
0 Likes
GlJe_1688511
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor

Hello Jayakrishna.

Maybe, do you have the sample code?

If you have it, please sent it.

We will set a MIPI.

Thanks and Best regards.

Glenn.

0 Likes

Hello,

You can set the MIPI configuration using the MIPI configuration Utility that comes along with FX3 SDK. Once the configuration is set properly, the tool automatically produces the project source files which can be added to your project. The detailed steps that are to be followed for using the MIPI configuration utility can be found in section 4.4 of EzUsbSuite_UG.pdf which comes along with FX3 SDK. Please refer to this document for better understanding.

Once the files are added to your project, you need to add the image sensor configuration settings. This is to be added in imagesensor.c file.

We have some example projects that are provided along with FX3 SDK. You can find them in the following location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\firmware\cx3_examples

Note: The path depends on the installation directory of the FX3 SDK.

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
bayi_4531756
Level 1
Level 1

Excuse me, I want to publish my own problem. But I do not find ant intrance or buttton to publish my own question. Could any guy give me a guide? Thanks a lot.

0 Likes

capture.JPG

0 Likes