Can the EZ-USB CX3 do any image compression ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
HuEl_264296
Level 5
Level 5
First like given 25 sign-ins First solution authored

Hi,

I would like to use the EZ-USB CX3 to receive images from an Omnivision image sensor and send them to the host PC via USB.

I need to connect 5such devices to a single USB 2.0 hub, and it looks like I'm going to run out of bandwidth.

Can the EZ-USB CX3 do any kind of compression, either video compression, or JPEG compression?  It it likely to have enough processing power to do this?

Many thanks

Hugo

0 Likes
1 Solution
KandlaguntaR_36
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

Hugo,

CX3 does not do any image compression.

In Manual DMA Channel Call back, you will get the buffer to do some modifications (we actually add UVC headers in the callback - refer AN75779 example code OR Ov5640 example firmware provided in the SDK).

But implementing the data compression in DMA Call back will affect the device performance. You may end up seeing the Buffer Overflows and data loss. Therefore, it is not recommended to do the same.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
KandlaguntaR_36
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

Hugo,

CX3 does not do any image compression.

In Manual DMA Channel Call back, you will get the buffer to do some modifications (we actually add UVC headers in the callback - refer AN75779 example code OR Ov5640 example firmware provided in the SDK).

But implementing the data compression in DMA Call back will affect the device performance. You may end up seeing the Buffer Overflows and data loss. Therefore, it is not recommended to do the same.

0 Likes

srdr,

So it's technically possible to compress the data, but the processor probably won't have enough processing power to to compress each frame in time?

Hugo

0 Likes

Yes.

0 Likes