Can HOST send message to device during enumeration?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JoNe_4646056
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Using the FX3...

Hi
Can a device get some message (bits) from HOST during enumeration? For example, can the device identify the HOST OS..
Note that the HOST Application is not running..

I assume this means modifying the cyusb3 driver (and device code of course). It's not clear if any of the available Get Requests can be modified to achieve this.

Thanks
John

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello John,

The USB transaction between USB host and FX3 is achieved in Driver/Library combination.

For Host OS recognition, device can enumerate even during OS isn't active (not booted). So, there is no guaranteed way make this happen. In addition, there can be scenario where device boots with other OS (where we don't have custom driver).

If you want to implement something for host OS identification then then its custom implementation extension and can be tried at your end.

Regards,
Rashi

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello John,

The USB transaction between USB host and FX3 is achieved in Driver/Library combination.

For Host OS recognition, device can enumerate even during OS isn't active (not booted). So, there is no guaranteed way make this happen. In addition, there can be scenario where device boots with other OS (where we don't have custom driver).

If you want to implement something for host OS identification then then its custom implementation extension and can be tried at your end.

Regards,
Rashi
JoNe_4646056
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Hi Rashi,
Thanks for confirming the driver/library combo. We are fine with the enumeration scenarios you've listed, but for now, only need to address the situation where we have a custom driver loaded.

As such, can you please point me to the (LINUX)  driver code and docs that I can peruse?? It would save me some time 🙂

Thanks again,
John

0 Likes

Hi John,

Please refer to FX3 SDK for Linux https://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-usb-fx3-software-development-kit. It has the relevant documents.

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes