Can CX3 work if there are no USB 2.0 lines

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

In my case, the USB cable which I want to use does not have USB 2.0 lines. It has only USB 3.0 lines. In that case, If I use that cable to connect my CX3 and the USB 3.0 host, will the CX3 work? Does CX3 has any dependency on USB 2.0 lines during boot/enumeration?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

In SPI or I2C boot mode, it is fine. The device will enumerate in USB 3.0 mode.

Typically, if there is a USB 3.0 connection failure (due to signal integrity issues) for three times, USB 3.0 terminations will be removed and device falls back to USB 2.0 connection.

If you change the firmware in such a way that it always come up as USB 3.0 and do not fall back to USB 2.0, the device will keep on try to establish USB 3.0 connection.

CyU3PUsbControlUsb2Support() API can be used to disable USB 2.0 operation on FX3. You can refer to section 5.36.7.8 of FX3 API guide (C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\doc\firmware) for details about this API.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

CX3 bootloader is a USB2.0 bootloader. So, if you have selected USB boot (PMODE[2:0]=F11), USB 2.0 lines are required for enumeration.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

My CX3 based board will be always booting from SPI flash. In this case, will it work?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

In SPI or I2C boot mode, it is fine. The device will enumerate in USB 3.0 mode.

Typically, if there is a USB 3.0 connection failure (due to signal integrity issues) for three times, USB 3.0 terminations will be removed and device falls back to USB 2.0 connection.

If you change the firmware in such a way that it always come up as USB 3.0 and do not fall back to USB 2.0, the device will keep on try to establish USB 3.0 connection.

CyU3PUsbControlUsb2Support() API can be used to disable USB 2.0 operation on FX3. You can refer to section 5.36.7.8 of FX3 API guide (C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\doc\firmware) for details about this API.

0 Likes
KandlaguntaR_36
25 solutions authored 10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored

This question is answered here and provided the snippet too.

How to enable FX3/CX3 Only for USB 3.0 Application?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks,

I need a help on to force disable USB 3.0 too. To elaborate, what shall I

do to make always CX3 connect as USB 2.0 even if host supports USB 3.0?

Is there any similar command to* CyU3PUsbControlUsb2Support *for this?

0 Likes

If you want to connect the CX3 in USB 2.0 mode, you just pass second parameter of CyU3PConnectState(CyTrue, CyFalse) as CyFalse.

Refer 5.36.7.1  CyU3PConnectState in FX3 APIGuide

With this change, the device comes up in only USB 2.0 even though you connect to USB 3.0 host.

(We assumed that the your USB 3.0 host is backward compatible with USB 2.0 also).

0 Likes