Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MaHe_4626536
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Could you please help with the following questions:

1. Can you please explain what are the required operations and procedures in order to support new sensors (which are not in the default FW in the Denebola RDK) to be connected to the RDK/CX3?

2. Will I have to recompile the FW for each new sensor?

3. Is there an option to change parameters in real-time? namely, to send I2C commands to the sensor for configuration?

4. Is there any UI which can load pre-defined sensor configuration which will allow just to select the desired configuration?

5. Which formats are supported? Are all images formats which are defined in the MIPI CSI-2 standard supported in the CX3 and the Denebola RDK?

6. Can the CX3 get CSI VC streams and convert them to UVC?

Thanks,

Matan

Can you please explain what is the required operation in order to support new sensor to be attached the RDK? Will I have to re-compile the FW for each new sensor?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Matan,

"Is this achieved by the UVC driver in the host PC? Namely, the application on the host sends request to the UVC driver and the CX3 translate this request to I2C transaction to the sensor?"

=> Yes, your understanding is correct. The host application sends relevant resolution change requests from the list that is being supported by the device (the host has the information as well based on the device descriptors) and then the firmware is designed to handle such requests.

But you would need to populate the necessary I2C register read writes for the register settings so as to set the image sensor for that resolution before starting the data streaming.

Please read through the app note and the UVC spec extensively to get in-depth knowledge of the topic.

Regards,

Yashwant

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
YashwantK_46
100 solutions authored 50 solutions authored 50 likes received

Hello Matan,

1.) Please go through the following link: Steps to Setup up MIPI CSI Camera Solution with CX3 – KBA225748
The above KBA explains about the steps needed to create a custom CX3 camera solution.

Please go through Quesion numbers 9,10,11 and 12 of the following KBA to know about interfacing a custom sensor: CX3 Hardware: Frequently Asked Questions - KBA91295

2.) Based on the KBA given above (for (1.)), you will have to create a custom firmware for a new sensor to go up with CX3.
Refer to Question 7 and 8 of CX3 Firmware: Frequently Asked Questions - KBA91297 to know how to recompile new firmware.

3.) The CX3 firmware developed by the CX3 Configuration Utility generates the necessary functions to communicate with the sensor by writing appropriate configuration to the sensor to support the resolution and fps change in realtime as requested by the host while streaming.

4.) CX3 Configuration Utility is available with the FX3 SDK that can be used to develop a custom CX3 firmware.

5., 6.) Please refer to Question 2 and 3 of the following KBA: CX3 Firmware: Frequently Asked Questions - KBA91297

Regards,
Yashwant

0 Likes

Hi Yashwant,

Thanks for your answers.

I'm not sure I understand how the sensor can be configured in real-time from the host PC.

Is this achieved by the UVC driver in the host PC? Namely, the application on the host sends request to the UVC driver and the CX3 translate this request to I2C transaction to the sensor?

Thanks,

Matan

0 Likes

Hello Matan,

"Is this achieved by the UVC driver in the host PC? Namely, the application on the host sends request to the UVC driver and the CX3 translate this request to I2C transaction to the sensor?"

=> Yes, your understanding is correct. The host application sends relevant resolution change requests from the list that is being supported by the device (the host has the information as well based on the device descriptors) and then the firmware is designed to handle such requests.

But you would need to populate the necessary I2C register read writes for the register settings so as to set the image sensor for that resolution before starting the data streaming.

Please read through the app note and the UVC spec extensively to get in-depth knowledge of the topic.

Regards,

Yashwant

0 Likes