CX3 design review and MIPI layout question

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Sag
Level 3
Level 3
First like received 25 replies posted 25 sign-ins

Hey,

we designed a small board with CX3.
I'll be happy to get a review on the schematics and layout, especially on the USB super speed lines and the MIPI data 0 lines which are not layout great but we can't find a better alternative.

appreciate the help.

thanks, 

0 Likes
1 Solution
AliAsgar
1000 replies posted 250 solutions authored 750 replies posted

Hi,

I have reviewed the schematics and the layout. The schematics seem fine, but i have some comments for the layout.

1. The trace spacing between the MIPI data lanes must be twice the trace width. I found that the trace width was almost equal to the trace spacing between the MIPI lanes.

2. It is not advised to keep any via on the SSUSB traces. I found that there was a via on the SSTX lines.

Please review these changes.

Also make sure that the impedance on the MIPI data lanes are approx 100ohms.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
AliAsgar

Hi,

You can refer to the MIPI layout guidelines in the given application note:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AN90369_How_to_Interface_a_MIPI_CSI-2_Image_Sensor_With_EZ-US....

The CX3 schematic and layouts can be reviewed in section 14 of the given application note:

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AN70707_EZ-USB_FX3_FX3S_SX3_hardware_design_guidelines_and_sc...

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes
Sag
Level 3
Level 3

Hey AliAsgar,

we followed those guidelines, the issue is that given the very small size board and the location of the MIPI data0 balls it is very hard to layout the traces, please see the picture below. since the trace is short, will this work?

Sag_0-1648834296667.png

thanks, 

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi,

I have reviewed the schematics and the layout. The schematics seem fine, but i have some comments for the layout.

1. The trace spacing between the MIPI data lanes must be twice the trace width. I found that the trace width was almost equal to the trace spacing between the MIPI lanes.

2. It is not advised to keep any via on the SSUSB traces. I found that there was a via on the SSTX lines.

Please review these changes.

Also make sure that the impedance on the MIPI data lanes are approx 100ohms.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes
Sag
Level 3
Level 3

hey,

the MIPI data lanes were corrected to 100ohm differential, and indeed the trace gap increased.

Sag_0-1649224099786.png

regarding the SSUSB lines, i know about the VIAs, however due to the very small board there is actually not other way...

thanks for the comments.

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi,

Do you have any other queries?

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes
Sag
Level 3
Level 3