Bulk In data streaming hangs on CYUSB3KIT-001 DevKit connected to USB host controller ASMedia ASM3142

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Sergey
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

Hello,

We are facing an issue, that bulk IN data streaming hangs on CYUSB3KIT-001 DevKit (and other our devices base on FX3) connected to USB host controller ASM3142.

Issue was reproduced with FX3 sample FW "USBBulkSourceSink". After pressing "Start" in application "Streamer", device sends few USB packets and application hangs(sometimes causes BSOD on Windows). Bulk OUT works fine.

Issue has not been reproduces on other USB host controllers (such ASM2142, Intel, Fresco Logic..).

We have contacted ASMedia, they sent us latest FW, but issue still can be reproduced.

Has anyone faced the same issue? And how to fix/workaround it? 

ASM3142 had been chosen due to Power Delivery and Type C connection. 

Regards,

Sergey

0 Likes
1 Solution
AliAsgar
1000 replies posted 250 solutions authored 750 replies posted

Hi Sergey,

From the crash dump it was concluded that the BSOD was not caused due to Cypress driver or host application. The crash was due to a Microsoft cng.sys driver. The issue may be related to some corruption in the windows registers. Cng.sys is trying to write windows register just before BSOD.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

View solution in original post

0 Likes
48 Replies
AliAsgar

Hi Sergey,

As the issue is related only to a certain type of Asmedia host controllers (ASM3142), I suspect that the issue may be due to host controller hardware/software.

On google, there are also some instances where other people have received BSODs due to cng.sys driver. Please do have a look and check if any solution helps you there.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes
Sergey
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 25 replies posted 10 replies posted

Dear AliAsgar,

BSOD might be related to Microsoft driver, but what about error (c000000e) returned by your driver on higher data rates?

Regards,

Sergey

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi Sergey, 

Does this c0000000e error occur even when there is no BSOD?

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes

Dear AliAsgar,

Yes it does. There are two issues actually BSODs and this error.

Regards,

Sergey

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi Sergey,

We will try to reproduce the issue internally on any Asmedia hosts we have.

Meanwhile, please try checking the attached streamer application and let me know "last error" being printed, before "xfer request rejected" error comes up on the streamer application.

We see that the 0xC000000E error has occurred due to a reset of the device during data transfer. Could you please verify if the device is undergoing reset by opening device manager and checking if the device manager refreshes when the issue is seen.

Also please share a trace again with LPM disabled with the latest firmware and the latest build version.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes
AliAsgar

Hi Sergey,

We tested the default BulkSrcSink firmware with the default streamer application on gigabyte x299 motherboard. It has an Asmedia 3142 host controller. The issue was not reproduced at our end. The transfers were successful for 64 packets per xfer and 32 xfers to queue as well. 

Error 0xc000000e was never found.

Can you try answering our previous questions? It will help us debug the issue better.

I noticed that I had forgotten to attach the streamer.h file. I apologize for my mistake. I have attached the streamer.h file with this response.

Best Regards,
AliAsgar

0 Likes
frank9876
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Hi Sergey,

I was browsing this forum and noticed your post.  This sounded awfully familiar to the problem I am having and was struggling with for quite some time with an add-in USB card as described in my posts (SuperSpeed Explorer Kit using Streamer Application with add-in USB3 PCIe card ).  I haven't gotten a BSOD but streamer does just report constant failures.  Streamer is not locking up and I'm not sure if what you describe as "hangs" means reporting failures or totally locked up.  I couldn't resist posting  a comment since the symptoms are very similar.

I posted a modification to streamer.h that inserts a delay when queueing buffers in the streamer application.  It may be worth the effort to extract the streamer.h file I just posted and compile that in the streamer application and find if that makes streamer work.  If so, the issues are probably identical.

Frank

0 Likes

Dear Frank,

Thank you for your attention.

Due to in your case you are using USB controller with ASMedia3142 it might be similar issue. But in my case FX3 streams data with sufficient data rate, but in a while,  streamer application(or my application with my own device driver) stops streaming data with failure or crashes or I get Windows BSOD, which is not reproducible with other USB host controllers.

I have played with delays(on application side or FX3 side), URBs size, number of URBs, data rates, but couldn't not get rid of issue. 

Best regards,

Sergey

0 Likes

Hello.

I have been following this thread because I am interested in the solution because I think it is the same issue I am having with the RocketU card.  All the responses have correlated to the issue I am seeing.

I am willing to send my RocketU card within the USA if that can help duplicate the issue at another site.

Frank

0 Likes