About AN76405 Description of EZ-USB™ FX3/FX3S boot options

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NoAr_1540581
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
5 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 100 replies posted

Hello

About AN76405 Description of EZ-USB™ FX3/FX3S boot options,.

7.2 Selection of SPI flash has the following description.

SPI flash should support the following commands to support FX3 boot

. • Read data: 03h with 3-byte addressing

• Read Status register: 05h

• Write Enable: 06h

• Write data (Page Program): 02h

• Sector Erase: D8h

However, when I checked the commands for the SPI Flash parts (S25FS064S, S25FL064L, S25FS128S, W25Q32FW) listed on page 29, It is described below command.

Read data: 03h

Read Status register: 05h

Write Enable: 06h

Write data: 02h

Sector Erase (4KB): 20h

Block Erase (64KB or 128KB): D8h Q1)

Specifically, there is a difference in the command for Sector Erase.

Q) Is it ok to understand that memory is erased by repeating Block Erase when erasing and writing to SPI Flash with SDK?  Or is it necessary to change CyBootProgrammer.img when erasing the SPI Flash with the SDK for the device described on page 29 above?

Best Regards

Arai

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Arai - san,

Apologies for misunderstanding your question

As mentioned above, please tell me why there is a difference between the recommended device and the Sector Erase command "D8h" described in P30 7.2 Selection of SPI flash? Is it related with the actual flash erasing/writing method?

>> The SPI Flash have sector erase commands for erasing different length of sectors. Similar to W25Q80EW, S25FS064S also has 20h/21 h for 4KB-sector Erase and D8H for uniform sector erase (64 KB). As the purpose here is to program a firmware to SPI Flash using Control center , 64 KB flash sector is erased at once. Hence sector erase command D8H is used.

The memory I am actually considering this time is W25Q80EW, which is not a hybrid configuration memory, so when erasing it, I am thinking that it does not need to change CyBootProgrammer.img like KBA231163. Is this correct?

>> After going through the datasheet of W25Q80EW, I found that it also uses D8h for 64KB sector erase. So, using the default CyBootProgrammer.img will not be a problem for programming flash using control center

Regards,
Rashi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello Arai san,

Please confirm if you have referred to this KBA  FX3 SPI boot fails when S25FS128S flash is used – ... - Infineon Developer Community  

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes
NoAr_1540581
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
5 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 100 replies posted

Hello Rashi san

Since the S25FS128S is a hybrid memory, I understand that workaround against KBA231163 are necessary. However, the memory under consideration this time is "W25Q80EW".

The specifications of W25Q80EW are as follows.

・ Sector Erase (4KB) → Command: 20h

As the background of the question, as described at the beginning, the sector command of the recommended memory device name described in Page 29 of the document (EZ-USB™ FX3/FX3S boot options) and the sector command( D8h)  described in P30 "7.2 Selection of SPI flash" I would like to know the reason why there is a difference in the Sector Erease command.

Again, I am asking the question below

Q1)

As mentioned above, please tell me why there is a difference between the recommended device and the Sector Erease command "D8h" described in P30 7.2 Selection of SPI flash? Is it related with the actual flash erasing/writing method?

Q2)

The memory I am actually considering this time is W25Q80EW, which is not a hybrid configuration memory, so when erasing it, I am thinking that it does not need to change CyBootProgrammer.img like KBA231163. Is this correct?

Please answer each question

Best Regards

Arai

0 Likes

Hello Arai - san,

Apologies for misunderstanding your question

As mentioned above, please tell me why there is a difference between the recommended device and the Sector Erase command "D8h" described in P30 7.2 Selection of SPI flash? Is it related with the actual flash erasing/writing method?

>> The SPI Flash have sector erase commands for erasing different length of sectors. Similar to W25Q80EW, S25FS064S also has 20h/21 h for 4KB-sector Erase and D8H for uniform sector erase (64 KB). As the purpose here is to program a firmware to SPI Flash using Control center , 64 KB flash sector is erased at once. Hence sector erase command D8H is used.

>> After going through the datasheet of W25Q80EW, I found that it also uses D8h for 64KB sector erase. So, using the default CyBootProgrammer.img will not be a problem for programming flash using control center

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes