Win10 Alternatives to WHQL Signed Drivers for EZ-USB FX1

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

We use EZ-USB FX1 on in-house test equipment. These were programmed with a custom VID and PID to report to Windows as one of our products. Then we switched to Win10 which necessitated turning-off the requirement for signed drivers before we could install USB-Serial drivers. But we don't like disabling signed drivers so we'd like an alternative.

For further background, I'm not the creator of the original drivers, I didn't program these chips, I don't know a ton about these things, and the people who did this have left the company. So I've got a folder with some .iic files and I've got your kind help.

From what I've gathered after extensive searching through old threads with conflicting information, my best bet is to use the cyusb3 driver files, which opens the door to three plans of attack:

(1) Modify the .inf to use our VID and PID, then sign the driver with a full-blown WHQL signed driver that can be used by anyone, even non-admin users,

(2) Modify the .info to use our VID and PID, then sign the driver with a test certificate that will still require an admin to approve the installation, but at least won't need us to disable the driver signature check, OR

(3) Possibly, reprogram our test equipment to use a Cypress VID and PID, then install using the Cypress-signed drivers.

Is this enumeration of options actually correct? Am I missing another good option?

Further, I'll list some more info on why I do/don't want to take each option, so please let me know if I'm misunderstanding anything:

(1) WHQL-signed drivers are overkill for a test device that we use in-house only, we don't have external customers using this device and we don't need some publicly registered driver as far as I can see.

(2) Test certificates seem OK, but I would like to avoid requiring admin privileges. I suppose this may be the best option.

(3) Ugh, I don't want to reprogram these things.

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
SrinathS_16
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hello,

- In case you are using the driver only for testing purposes, I would suggest you to go with test mode operation of Windows. You can switch the OS into test mode and back to normal mode using the below commands. The PC should be restarted for these commands to take effect.

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

- Another option would be driver resell. Please refer to Driver Resell section in the attached CyUSB.PDF file for details on this.

Best regards,

Srinath S

View solution in original post

2 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
SrinathS_16
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hello,

- In case you are using the driver only for testing purposes, I would suggest you to go with test mode operation of Windows. You can switch the OS into test mode and back to normal mode using the below commands. The PC should be restarted for these commands to take effect.

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

- Another option would be driver resell. Please refer to Driver Resell section in the attached CyUSB.PDF file for details on this.

Best regards,

Srinath S

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Srinath.

We eventually signed the driver using a release siganture (non WHQL).

0 Likes