License question - Sharing CyUSB.dll in a MATLAB app

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MichaelR
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Dear Sir or Madam,

Since I am neither a professional programmer nor a lawyer, I have a question regarding the license of the CyUSB.dll.

I designed a control app for the Octaflow II system from ALA Scientific, using MATLAB.
The official control software from ALA Scientific uses the CyUSB.dll v1.2.2.0 and cyusb3.sys v1.2.3.14 to communicate with the device.
For my MATLAB app I had to use the version v1.2.3.0 of the CyUSB.dll, which I did not altered, but when I compile the app as a stand-alone desktop app, the dll is part of the compiled exe right now.
Now I am thinking to share my app for free. However I am not sure if I am allowed to do so, if the CyUSB.dll is integrated in the compiled app.
Could you please tell me, if you allow me to include the dll in my compiled app, if I have to share the dll separately or if I am not allowed to share the dll at all.
In case I am allowed to share your dll together with my app, how should I cite you as the developer and right owner of the dll?
Kind regards,
MichaelR

0 Likes
1 Solution
Hemanth
First like given First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi Michael,

You can use the dll within your executable. But just make sure that your executable is targeted to use with Cypress controller.

Regards,

Hemanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Hemanth

Hi Michael,

Can you please let me know for which USB controller will the app be used?

Regards, 

Hemanth
0 Likes
MichaelR
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Hemanth,

thank you for your reply. I am not sure if you mean this, but when I am using the Cypress USB Control Center and select the device,  the drop down menu 'Program' enables the items for 'FX3'. So I think a FX3 controller is used in the device.

Kind regards,

Michael

0 Likes
Hemanth

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to refer to license document that we share in FX3 SDK. After you install the SDK please refer to document in below path:

{InstallPath}\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\license

Regards,

Hemanth
0 Likes
MichaelR
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Hemanth,

thank you, I have read the license document (and hopefully understood it right).

Based on what I have read, I have an important question: does the CyUSB.dll count as a software provided in source code form or object code form?

If its the former, I am allowed to include it into the package, but I have to add the license document.

If its the latter, I am not allowed to do so, since the packed app would be a derivative work of the dll. However I am allowed to share the dll separately with my app.

Kind regards,

Michael

0 Likes
Hemanth

Hi Michael,

You can use the dll within your executable. But just make sure that your executable is targeted to use with Cypress controller.

Regards,

Hemanth
0 Likes
MichaelR
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Hemanth,

thank you very much for your help. I will do so.

Kind regards,

Michael

0 Likes