Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RSautner
Level 1
Level 1
First like given 5 sign-ins First reply posted

I have an older USB Had drive controller (CompUSA) that uses a CY7C68300A. When plugged into USB, it is reporting itself as USB/VID_04B4&PID8613. The 04B4 is Cypress but the 8613 is for the CY7C68013 (EZ-USB FX2). It should report as PID8630. This was observed on multiple PCs. 

There seems to be no way to place the device into MFG Mode so that I could use Blaster to investigate. The only option was to lift the power and ground to the external IC2 EEPROM and hope that it would default and report its device ID correctly. Unfortunately, after doing that it still reports as a PID8613. 

The documentation does not appear to say what it should report as while in Mfg Mode.

At this point it is more of a thought experiment and/or trouble shooting exercise.

Any thoughts? Counterfeit chip ?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution
MallikaK_22
50 likes received 750 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Randy,

Yes, it seems most likely that the chips are fake.

Regards,

Mallika

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
MallikaK_22

Hi,

In case of manufacturing mode, the chip returns the default descriptors (VID/PID) of 0x4B4/0x6830. 

Did you try with disconnecting the EEPROM and leaving the I2C pull ups intact? Does it still show PID as 8613?

Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes
RSautner
Level 1
Level 1

No, I just lifted the Vss and Vdd on the EEPROM and it still reported 0x4b4/0x8613.

I will try and completely remove the EEPROM and check that the pull ups are still attached. 

Thanks-

0 Likes
RSautner
Level 1
Level 1

Mallika,

I removed the EEPROM and measured 3V at SCL and SDA lines at the EEPROM traces. The chip / device still reports  as USB\VID_04B4&PID_8613&REV_0004. 

I uninstalled the device and re-scanned in device manager to make sure it isn't remembering something. I also tried different USB ports on the laptop.

Possible relabeled counterfeit chip?

Thanks,

Randy

0 Likes
MallikaK_22

Hi,

Could you please provide details on where did you get the chips from.

Could you also check if functionally the chips you have are working fine or not?

How are they enumerating on the host?

Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes
RSautner
Level 1
Level 1

The chip came installed on a board in a USB drive enclosure that was sold by CompUSA. I bought it online recently in order to try and communicate with an older IDE hard drive. 

When it connects to the host the driver is not found and the hardware id is:

USB\VID_04B4&PID_8613&REV_0004

USB\VID_04B4&PID_8613

The Chip printing

CY7C68300A-56PVC

A 04 PHI 0514(smudged)

CYP 613368

Its an interesting issue as it may have been returned goods and resold to me. With the EEPROM removed it should be reporting PID_6830.

Thanks, Randy 

0 Likes
MallikaK_22

Hi Randy,

Yes, it seems most likely that the chips are fake.

Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes