CY7C65215A - CDC I2C/SPI/UART config

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
user_4768196
Level 1
Level 1
First like given

Hi,

I need to dynamically reconfigure the device within our application.

I tried to use the provided example source code, but I could not manage to get this up and running.

What is the target:

The USB device shall be used with different configurations without the need to reconfigure it with the "Cypress Configuration Utility".

Ideally, we want to use all three configurations (UART/I2C/SPI) in our application just by using the VCP (CDC) driver API from Cypress.

Is this possible?

If not, is it at least possible to use UART on one channel and SPI/I2C on the other channel?

regards

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

If you are using your own application then it is not possible to change the configuration of the SCB from your custom application.

You need to use the USB-Serial Configuration Utility or the fwDownload.exe.

I would suggest to use the fwDownload.exe from your application with the required configuration file as the parameter every time you need to change the configuration of the USB-Serial device.

Our assumption was, that the CY7C65215A, can be configured to offer all three interfaces to the host using a com-port, without the need to reconfigure anything with some external tooling.

If I understood you correctly, this is not possible, correct?

Yes, the above mentioned method is not possible.

Thanks,

Yatheesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
YatheeshD_36
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

Yes, It possible to dynamically configure the USB-Serial Device (CY7C65215A) with different configurations.

You can use the fwDownload.exe tool from this thread: Re: CY7C65211 Serial Communication Mode  to reconfigure the USB-Serial devices with the required configuration file (.cyusb).

For dynamically configuring the device, please save all the possibly needed configurations from the USB-Serial Configuration utility as .cyusb file and program the required configuration whenever necessary using the fwDownload tool.

Is it at least possible to use UART on one channel and SPI/I2C on the other channel?

Yes, you can use various configurations on both SCB's. Please use the USB-Serial configuration Utility tool to select the different configurations needed and program the device. You can save the configuration as a .cyusb file and use the fwDownload tool from the next time to program the same config to the device.

Thanks,

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Hi,

thx for your response, but this does not fully answer my question.

Maybe I was too unclear about the requirements we have for our product.

The idea is, that we use the Cypress library on the host to communicate with a device that offers SPI, I2C and UART as an interface.

The selection of the interface shall be done within the application. That would also mean, that we can't use the FWDownloader.exe you proposed. Our assumption was, that the CY7C65215A, can be configured to offer all three interfaces to the host using a com-port, without the need to reconfigure anything with some external tooling.

Would this be possible if we decide to not use the CDC/VCP driver and switch to some other Cypress library?

Thanks,

Andreas

0 Likes

Hello,

If you are using your own application then it is not possible to change the configuration of the SCB from your custom application.

You need to use the USB-Serial Configuration Utility or the fwDownload.exe.

I would suggest to use the fwDownload.exe from your application with the required configuration file as the parameter every time you need to change the configuration of the USB-Serial device.

Our assumption was, that the CY7C65215A, can be configured to offer all three interfaces to the host using a com-port, without the need to reconfigure anything with some external tooling.

Yes, the above mentioned method is not possible.

Thanks,

Yatheesh

0 Likes