Why will the drivers for the CY7C65213 not load on some PC's?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ErOv_264606
Level 1
Level 1

I have a small board I cooked off to get four COM ports out of a USB connection.  It uses a CY7C65632 hub, and below the hub sit four CY7C65213's which implement the USB to serial bridges.

On my desktop PC, after the machine sat and thought for a very long time (like about 20 minutes), it loaded all the drivers and all was well.  But I can't get either of my two laptops to load everything on the Windows side.  Basically I'm seeing a lot of "Error Code 31" where COM ports should be.

Why did this work on a desktop machine and not a laptop (or two)?

Attached are screen shots of what I see in Device Manager and USBView when all goes according to plan on the desktop (and ports COM7, COM35, COM36, and COM37 magically appear) as well as what crashes and burns on one of the laptops.

What am I missing about how to get the drivers to load on the laptop?  The point of having four serial ports is that the laptop has to be taken to a remote site to connect to four serial data streams for logging data.

Here it is on the working PC in Device Mangler:

Enumerated Ports.jpg

Here it is in USBView:

USBView of Comm Board.bmp

When it doesn't work on the laptop, here's what I see:

Bad Driver Load.jpg

I ran the program "CypressDriverInstaller_1" downloaded from the CY7C65213 page on Cypress-dot-com, and that may have helped with the desktop PC, but it did no good with the laptops.

Since there's nothing proprietary about the comm board's design, I attach a PDF of it here if it helps.

Works great on a desktop PC.  The trouble is that I can't haul a desktop to a remote location to take data.

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach

Hello,

Great to hear that the device is enumerating.

For Linux you can use the minicom terminal.

Also in windows please plug in the CY7C65213 device directly the PC and check if the device enumerates.

If you have a custom board design please try the connecting the board of a different windows PC and check for enumeration of all the Serial Devices on the board.

pastedImage_0.png

When a CY7C65213 device is plugged into a PC three devices will enumerate under USB controllers.

1. USB-Serial Adapter.

2. USB-Serial Composite Device.

3. USB-UART LP Vendor MFG.

Please refer to the attached and confirm all the three devices is enumerating and bound to cypress driver.

I have attached the latest USB-Serial driver version 3.13.0.84 to this response. Please run the DriverInstaller.bat file in the package. This will install the latest driver for the respective OS running on the PC. Check if the devices are bound to the proper driver after the driver installation.

Thanks,

Yatheesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
YatheeshD_36
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

You can try the below mentioned methods:

1. Restart you PC.

2. Manually binding  the device to the respective driver:

a. Right click on the device in the device manager -> Update driver

pastedImage_0.png

b. Select Browse for drivers for your computer -> Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer -> Have disk -> Browse

c. Browse to the USB-Serial Drive folder installation path and select the right driver inf file corresponding to the OS and its architecture (x86 or x64).

example path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\USB-Serial Driver\DriverBinary\CDC_Driver\bin\Win10\x64

d. Select the CypressSerial.inf file

pastedImage_3.png

e. Click OK

f. Select the USB Serial port

pastedImage_4.png

f. Click Next

This will install the respective driver.

Let me know if this works.

Thanks,

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Didn't work.

Device Manager didn't see the USB-to-serial bridge chip at all, although it did see the hub sitting above it.  So there was no COM port on which to right click to start the process of driver loading.

I did try to force the machine to look for legacy hardware (in this case a COM port) and then look for the driver specifically in the location you specified.

But what I get back is still an "Error Code 31," telling me that things didn't load correctly.

0 Likes

One other note...  I plugged my board with hub and serial bridge chip into a machine running Ubuntu, and it found everything just fine.

My laptops don't have Linux on them, but I do have a couple of small form factor point-of-sale terminal PC's that do.  And I could possibly use those in the field as opposed to a laptop.

The problem is that I can't find a good terminal emulation program that'll do data logging under Linux (similar to Foxterm, which is what I generally use under Windows).  If you have a suggestion of something, I'm all ears.

For now it does look like Linux will hook these ports up as:

/dev/ttyACM0

/dev/ttyACM1

/dev/ttyACM2

/dev/ttyACM3

0 Likes
lock attach

Hello,

Great to hear that the device is enumerating.

For Linux you can use the minicom terminal.

Also in windows please plug in the CY7C65213 device directly the PC and check if the device enumerates.

If you have a custom board design please try the connecting the board of a different windows PC and check for enumeration of all the Serial Devices on the board.

pastedImage_0.png

When a CY7C65213 device is plugged into a PC three devices will enumerate under USB controllers.

1. USB-Serial Adapter.

2. USB-Serial Composite Device.

3. USB-UART LP Vendor MFG.

Please refer to the attached and confirm all the three devices is enumerating and bound to cypress driver.

I have attached the latest USB-Serial driver version 3.13.0.84 to this response. Please run the DriverInstaller.bat file in the package. This will install the latest driver for the respective OS running on the PC. Check if the devices are bound to the proper driver after the driver installation.

Thanks,

Yatheesh

0 Likes

Yes, I got the board up and running this evening on a machine with Ubuntu and a copy of "cutecom."  That should get me through what I need to get done next week, which is really the issue.  These boards were never meant for production -- they were intended to be used one time and thrown away once we had all our data logged.

I'll have another crack at getting this to run under Windohs, but at this point, I'm inclined just to do it under Linux.  At the outset, the OS loaded all drivers properly without any wrestling at all -- which is far more than I can say for what came out of Microsoft...

0 Likes