Putting Billboard Controller into Suspend Mode - CY7C65210

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

How is Suspend Mode enabled in USB Billboard Controllers?

Is Suspend Mode the best way to disable Billboard advertising?

I'm sure I'm overlooking a simple method that puts Cypress' USB Billboard Controllers into Suspend Mode.

The datasheet states how the device indicates it's in Suspend Mode with a SUSPEND pin on the devices without the "A" suffix.

The datasheet also provides two options to exit Suspend mode: Via the WAKEUP pin or when there's activity on the bus.

I searched for "Suspend", "Sleep", "Low Power". What am I missing?

Also how to activate or disable it’s Billboard advertising.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Greg,

>>> Regarding the first comment in the previous response, "CY7C65210, CY7C65217 parts can go to suspend", please provide the specific sequence that puts those parts into suspend.

CY7C65210 and CY7C65217 supports remote wakeup. So, host can put it into "selective suspend" when there is no activity on the bus. When put to selective suspend, device should have a trigger for remote wakeup. For Billboard devices, there is no use-case to indicate wakeup.

A Billboard device receives notification from PD controller to update its alternate mode status with new data. This change is indicated to host through re-enumeration (as Billboard does not have any IN endpoints). So, as the device gets re-enumerated on any events, there is no real use-case for wakeup.

>>> Regarding a second comment, "use this method to make PD controller to signal Billboard to disconnect", please clarify the method being referred to.

PD controller & Billboard communicates using HPI interface. PD controller is the one which knows when the Billboard device should enumerate and what alternate mode status it should present. PD controller indicates Billboard through HPI events. PD controllers default implementation sends HPI event to make Billboard enumerate/re-enumerate/disconnect.

Please note that HPI interface definition is not publicly available and shared under NDA. Please contact local support.

PD controller has a configuration option to configure a timeout value to disconnect Billboard once timeout. This is used for power saving. This is applicable when alternate mode entry is successful as Billboard 1.21 spec does not mandate Billboard enumeration on successful alternate mode entry.

>> It is not clear if having Billboard available at all times would cause issues or not.

Billboard can stay enumerated always even when alternate mode entry is success. Billboard 1.21 spec mandates Billboard enumeration on alternate mode entry failure.

>>>

It looks like the Cypress CY7C65210 parts are meant for systems that do not use the USB C port for any USB at all and would have no way to expose the Alternate Modes available. The designer would design in the Cypress part to allow for negotiation when only using Alternate Mode and is probably not necessary on any system actively using the USB D+/- since the Billboard mode would be handled in the onboard stack.

Yes, Billboard spec (and thus this part) is meant for indicating alternate mode failure on systems which does not support specific alternate mode or USB-C at all.

However, CY7C65210 support features like FW update support to PD controller, itself to stay up-to-date with the PD & Billboard spec changes. It has USB-I2C bridge mode using which any 3rd party controllers FW can also be updated if it supports I2C based FW update.

Regards,

Muthu

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
YiZ_31
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hi,

May I know why do you want to disable Billboard advertising? If you do not want billboard function, you can simply disconnect USB 2.0 data trace to CY7C65210 or cut power supply for it.

Regards,

Eddie

0 Likes

Eddie,

Thanks for the quick response. The desire is to be able to dynamically enable and disable the Billboard Controller with a "Billboard Enable" type function.

Dynamically disconnecting the USB 2.0 data is an option, though it would require an additional component.

Cutting power might also require an additional component such as FET which would also reduce voltage into part and delay the parts' ability to come back on.

If there's an example to configure GPIO pins to disable and re-enable select Billboard activity, that may be acceptable.

Greg

0 Likes
YiZ_31
1000 replies posted 750 replies posted 500 replies posted

Hi Greg,

CY7C65210 has a fixed firmware and do not support customized code. And all it's main function is billboard controller, it's not reasonable to reserve pin for disabling itself. I think you should find solutions in it's I2C host.

Regards,

Eddie

0 Likes

Eddie,

Thank you for being honest with Cypress capabilities.

It helps to know when we don’t have a fit so we don’t waste our time or frustrate the customer.

FYI – no response needed - I sent the following response to the customer to see if he’s willing to look at CCG products instead:

Regarding Billboard controllers with Power control, Cypress has parts with and without notifications of Suspend state.

Cypress doesn’t have parts with pre-defined Billboard Enable pins. Cypress’ CCG3 with CC control and an embedded Billboard controller would be recommended.

I did ask how to put the Billboard controller part into a Suspend mode. Reference the discussion on Cypress’ Community @ https://community.cypress.com/message/192246.

Power Control state observability is described starting on Page 6 of the Datasheet. Note: The single datasheet covers single and dual port controllers as well as those with and without Suspend/Wakeup.

CY7C65210, CY7C65217, CY7C65210A, CY7C65217A USB Billboard Controller Datasheet @ https://www.cypress.com/documentation/datasheets/cy7c65210-cy7c65217-cy7c65210a-cy7c65217a-usb-billboard-controller

The Datasheet webpage also has links to additional support.

References that may be relevant:

Cypress’ “USB Billboard - CY7C65210 and CY7C65217” @ https://www.cypress.com/documentation/other-resources/usb-billboard-cy7c65210-and-cy7c65217

Brief overview of the requirement for a Billboard Device is available in Cypress’ Knowledge Base Article, Need for a USB Billboard Device in Type-C Solutions – KBA97146 @ https://community.cypress.com/docs/DOC-10786

Greg Carson

Arrow FAE

612-413-5273

0 Likes

Hi Greg,

CY7C65210, CY7C65217 parts can go to suspend and can wakeup based on WAKEUP pin toggle. But, in most of the Type-C applications with Billboard, I do not see any use-case where Billboard has to wakeup.

BTW, PD controller is responsible for indicating to Billboard on (1) when to enumerate, (2) when to re-enumerate with updated alternate mode status (3) when to disconnect.

If your requirement is to save power, you can use this method to make PD controller to signal Billboard to disconnect to save power.

Please provide more context on this design (like the solution/product, PD controller, etc.) to help solve the problem.

Regards,

Muthu

0 Likes

Muthu,

How is Suspend Mode enabled in USB Billboard Controllers?

Regarding the first comment in the previous response, "CY7C65210, CY7C65217 parts can go to suspend", please provide the specific sequence that puts those parts into suspend.

Regarding a second comment, "use this method to make PD controller to signal Billboard to disconnect", please clarify the method being referred to.

Customers prefer to disable the Billboard Controller when it's not needed.

Here's the response I received....

According Item 2.2.1 form the spec: “The Billboard capability shall only be exposed after Alternate Mode negotiations are completed or tAMEtimeout (as defined in Table 5.2 of [USBTYPEC]) whichever is earlier.”

It is not clear if having Billboard available at all times would cause issues or not.

For the CY7C65210, the wakeup pin allows for the system to remain suspended unless the MCU asserts that Alternate Mode negotiation has failed.

Please clarify the part behavior for when it enters suspend mode.

It looks like the Cypress CY7C65210 parts are meant for systems that do not use the USB C port for any USB at all and would have no way to expose the Alternate Modes available. The designer would design in the Cypress part to allow for negotiation when only using Alternate Mode and is probably not necessary on any system actively using the USB D+/- since the Billboard mode would be handled in the onboard stack.

Greg

0 Likes

Hi Greg,

>>> Regarding the first comment in the previous response, "CY7C65210, CY7C65217 parts can go to suspend", please provide the specific sequence that puts those parts into suspend.

CY7C65210 and CY7C65217 supports remote wakeup. So, host can put it into "selective suspend" when there is no activity on the bus. When put to selective suspend, device should have a trigger for remote wakeup. For Billboard devices, there is no use-case to indicate wakeup.

A Billboard device receives notification from PD controller to update its alternate mode status with new data. This change is indicated to host through re-enumeration (as Billboard does not have any IN endpoints). So, as the device gets re-enumerated on any events, there is no real use-case for wakeup.

>>> Regarding a second comment, "use this method to make PD controller to signal Billboard to disconnect", please clarify the method being referred to.

PD controller & Billboard communicates using HPI interface. PD controller is the one which knows when the Billboard device should enumerate and what alternate mode status it should present. PD controller indicates Billboard through HPI events. PD controllers default implementation sends HPI event to make Billboard enumerate/re-enumerate/disconnect.

Please note that HPI interface definition is not publicly available and shared under NDA. Please contact local support.

PD controller has a configuration option to configure a timeout value to disconnect Billboard once timeout. This is used for power saving. This is applicable when alternate mode entry is successful as Billboard 1.21 spec does not mandate Billboard enumeration on successful alternate mode entry.

>> It is not clear if having Billboard available at all times would cause issues or not.

Billboard can stay enumerated always even when alternate mode entry is success. Billboard 1.21 spec mandates Billboard enumeration on alternate mode entry failure.

>>>

Yes, Billboard spec (and thus this part) is meant for indicating alternate mode failure on systems which does not support specific alternate mode or USB-C at all.

However, CY7C65210 support features like FW update support to PD controller, itself to stay up-to-date with the PD & Billboard spec changes. It has USB-I2C bridge mode using which any 3rd party controllers FW can also be updated if it supports I2C based FW update.

Regards,

Muthu

0 Likes