PD hub concept recommend

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
role_1685151
Level 2
Level 2
25 sign-ins First like given 10 sign-ins

I'm looking for appropriate solution like Type C PD hub.

Currently, spec is below.

-Charging : Type C charging / Type A charging(BC1.2 CDP) from TA(Type C UFP port)

-USB data : USB 2.0 communication between Type C host and Type A device

I had reviewed what is appropriate solution for.

The similar solution is CCG3 CTD solution. but I think it's heavy a little.

Among PD hubs, HX3C is supporting 2 DRP role. but PD Port2 was using DFP port on HX3C Dock reference design.

pastedImage_4.png

If you know that there is appreciate solution. let me know and guide.

Regards.

Robert

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Robert,

My understanding is you would like to have DS port as a Type-C receptacle for sink i.e. charging from external adapter and have US port as a Type-C plug for source to the host i.e a dongle design. In that case, you could refer to the CCG3 Charge-Through-Dongle solution as you had mentioned with modified design on the HX3 DS ports. This would allow the same firmware to be used except for some configuration change on HX3 to disable the unused ports.

The HX3C Dongle part could also be used but please note that we have no reference design for that application.

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

-For the block diagram, could you please clarify if you require DRP role for both Type-C ports?

-Please note that HX3C based dock solution is not recommended for new designs. You could refer to the CCG4 Dock solution or HX3PD, although H3XPD has a lot many features than required so it might be an overkill.

Please also refer to the KBA​ for comparison between the hub solutions.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes

Hi Sananya.

No. I think no need DRP role to Type C ports. because Type C plug will connect to host device. and Type C receptacle will be used to charging sink role.

Sorry. I know HX3PD is not support UFP role for charging sink port.

pastedImage_0.png

CCG4 Dock design isn't also supporting UFP charging sink port.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/reference-designs/ez-pd-ccg4-usb-type-c-monitordock-solution

Regards

Robert

0 Likes

Hi Robert,

My understanding is you would like to have DS port as a Type-C receptacle for sink i.e. charging from external adapter and have US port as a Type-C plug for source to the host i.e a dongle design. In that case, you could refer to the CCG3 Charge-Through-Dongle solution as you had mentioned with modified design on the HX3 DS ports. This would allow the same firmware to be used except for some configuration change on HX3 to disable the unused ports.

The HX3C Dongle part could also be used but please note that we have no reference design for that application.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes