HX3 hub not working with all type-C cables

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Sag
Level 3
Level 3
First like received 25 replies posted 25 sign-ins

Hello,

This question is related to the HX3 design discussed in this review.

The HX3 hub was manufactures as in the above mentioned design and it looks like it works ok, we use it to connect a USB camera module (AR0144) to the PC/Laptop. The camera module is USB 3 and has a micro-B USB connector, we use a micro-B USB to type-C cable to connect the camera module to the HX3 hub.
we have 2 types of micro-B to type C cable (see attached cable A and cable B), everything works good with cable A but when connecting the camera module to the HX3 hub using cable B we get a "USB device not recognized". we connected the camera module directly to the PC with cable B and it works good, we also tested the camera module with cable B connected to a commercial USB-3 hub and it also works good. 

any ideas what can male cable B not work with the HX3?

thanks, 

0 Likes
1 Solution
Ajeethkumar_P
50 likes received 500 replies posted 100 solutions authored

Hi Sag,

The combined impedance of the HX3 hub and the Third-party hub with Cable B would be different. This might be the reason. But still, we would like to analyze.

Can you connect some other USB devices with Cable B to DS3 and DS4?

Thanks,
Ajeeth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Ajeethkumar_P

Hi Sag,

Thanks for posting in Infineon Developer Community!

As per your design, in Upstream, it is intentionally made to work only in one direction. With that, are you able to get the HX3 hub enumerating properly?

Does cable B have a type-C receptacle or a plug? If so, did you try both orientations(as we don't have Super-Speed Mux in our design)?

Does the Cable-B have a Super-speed mux? If so, you have to provide Rp in the Hub design board.

Whether 2.0 device of camera detected via HX3 hub using Cable-B?

Thanks,
Ajeeth

0 Likes

Hey Ajeeth,

• HX3 is enumerated ok
  • cable B has a type-C plug (same as cable A), tried both sides and both have the same result "usb device not recognized" (we did try to provide Rp and Rd and neither one helped)
  • cable B does not have a mux
  • no, with cable B there is no detection of the camera via the HX3

thanks, 

0 Likes
Ajeethkumar_P

Hi Sag,

I believe HX3 is enumerated properly as a USB 3.0 Hub device and a USB 2.0 Hub device(But on only one orientation). Let me know if my assumption is wrong.

Do you have a USB hardware analyzer(Eg. Lecroy)? If yes, please share the USB trace logs on the Upstream side and downstream side logs when the USB device is connected.

If you don't have hardware analyzer logs, please share the Wireshark traces(Software analyzer) when the USB device is connected.

Thanks,
Ajeeth

0 Likes

Hey Ajeeth,

You are correct with your assumption above.

I can get logs with Wireshark, but I would like to understand something, if everything is working good with cable A what can be wrong with cable B and what do you expect to see in Wireshark?

Thanks 

0 Likes
Ajeethkumar_P

Hi Sag,

Thanks for the confirmation!

I just want to understand what the hub is reporting to the Host when the Host is showing "USB device not recognized".

Please also try with both DS3 and DS4 of the HX3 hub(Type-C ports in your design).

Thanks,
Ajeeth

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hey Ajeeth,

attached 2 pcap files, one is with cable A which is working ok, the 2nd one is with cable B in which you can see 4 connection attempts corresponding to both DS ports in two orientations (one should not work of course).

Thanks,

0 Likes
Ajeethkumar_P

Hi Sag,

Thanks for sharing the logs!

But Software analyzer logs don't have any clues regarding the issue.

If you have a USB Hardware analyzer like Lecroy, Please share those logs to look further into this issue.

As per the analysis using Wireshark logs, there is no detection by the hub in the logs. This could be due to the termination is not enabled by the USB device. So, Cable B Impedance might be the reason for this issue.

Thanks,
Ajeeth

0 Likes

Hey Ajeeth,

unfortunately i don't have a USB analyzer.  
regarding your assumption about cable B impedance, if this is the issue how does it work when connecting directly to the PC or when connecting to a different USB3 hub?

thanks, 

0 Likes
Ajeethkumar_P

Hi Sag,

The combined impedance of the HX3 hub and the Third-party hub with Cable B would be different. This might be the reason. But still, we would like to analyze.

Can you connect some other USB devices with Cable B to DS3 and DS4?

Thanks,
Ajeeth

0 Likes

Hey Ajeeth,

i'll try to find a different device and check.

thanks,