HX2VL power drops while OS boots

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
TeMa_2997106
Level 6
Level 6
Distributor - TED (Japan)
10 likes received 10 solutions authored 250 replies posted

There is a phenomenon that the voltage drops to 1V for about 400ms during OS boot. It occurs on both the created board and CY4608.

Attach the waveform.

TEK0051.jpg

ch1 (yellow): U4 Pin1 (nENP1)
ch2 (blue): VBUS

My perception is that a reset is issued to the hub when the OS USB driver is initialized, and the HX2VL receives it and controls the Enable signal of the power supply IC. Is it correct? If yes, is this behavior as specified? Is there a time limit for making the Enable signal Inactive?

Thanks,
Tetsuo

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Tetsuo-san,

Yes, my understanding is the same since the hub would remain connected to the host during reboot and the power enable nEP1 pin will not be asserted till a Set Feature (Port Power) command is sent from the host after Reset. 

Please note that the timing is host dependent and you could take USB traces using an analyzer on the upstream port to help check if HX2VL is behaving correctly as per commands from the host.

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Tetsuo-san,

Yes, my understanding is the same since the hub would remain connected to the host during reboot and the power enable nEP1 pin will not be asserted till a Set Feature (Port Power) command is sent from the host after Reset. 

Please note that the timing is host dependent and you could take USB traces using an analyzer on the upstream port to help check if HX2VL is behaving correctly as per commands from the host.

Best Regards,
Sananya

TeMa_2997106
Level 6
Level 6
Distributor - TED (Japan)
10 likes received 10 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Sananya-san,

Thank you for your comment.

I can understand.

Tetsuo

0 Likes