Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Nanda
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

We have a product designed with CYUSB2304-68LTXI meant to work as a USB 2.0 device only. It works well. Now due to component shortages we wanted to evaluate the CYUSB3304-68LTXI as well to have more options for the design.

Can I use CYUSB3304-68LTXI in the board which is designed for CYUSB2304-68LTXI. 

I checked the pinouts they are identical except the USB 3.0 pins.

Can the USB 3.0 pins in the CYUSB3304-68LTXI be unconnected in this case? I am also not using the RREF_SS pin as well. Have an option to connect a resistor to GND.

What are the other precautions we need to take care or is it ok as is? How is the behavior of the chip with unused USB 3.0 pins?

I do not want to change the design.

Need you inputs in this regard.

Thank you,

Regards,

Nanda

0 Likes
1 Solution
MallikaK_22
50 likes received 750 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

There is no much difference between HX3 3.0 and 2.0 versions except that the USB SS PHY is not used in CYUSB2304. So yes, you can substitute CYUSB3304-68LTXI in your design. You can leave the SS pins NC and it will not cause any issues with USB 2.0 functionality.

Regards,

Mallika

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
MallikaK_22
50 likes received 750 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hello,

There is no much difference between HX3 3.0 and 2.0 versions except that the USB SS PHY is not used in CYUSB2304. So yes, you can substitute CYUSB3304-68LTXI in your design. You can leave the SS pins NC and it will not cause any issues with USB 2.0 functionality.

Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes
Thank you very much Mallika.

Thank you,
Regards,
Nanda
0 Likes