CY7C67300 as a Coprocessor - Basic Questions

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear Moderator:

If you would, please confirm that my assumptions below are correct regarding
CY67300 in coprocessor mode:

Are these assumptions correct for Coprocessor mode?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. In coprocessor mode, the CY67300 only runs it's bios, no other SW is loaded.

2. The CY67300 comes with this bios already programmed in so there is no code for the user
to flash into the device.

3. All control to the device is done via the master interface of choice (in my case SPI)
using Link Control Protocol commands to directly manipulate the 67300 registers.

4. As a USB memstick controller, you are essentually accessing at the sector rd/wr level,
and I will have to construct these sector rd/wr command sequences as register commands.

5. Because of #4 the master must provide it's own FAT system.

6. No external memory is required for coprocessor mode, although extra RAM could be
   added and used by the master CPU through LCP commands.

7. In coprocessor mode, the device can be switched between master, otg, and slave modes
without resetting it.

8. I can put the CPU to sleep in Coprocessor mode.  A USB device detect would wake it up.

Additional Questions for coprocessor mode
----------------------------------------------------------------
1. Will thee CY67300 will automatically detect a USB device and perform enumeration when programmed as a host?

2. Will a new device insertion generate a status change (for intrerrupt at the master) on a GPIO pin?

3. Would using one of your master apps be a better choice for memstick control?  Would I have to build a custom
communications interface to my master CPU in the CY67300?   I know this is open-ended question; I am trying to balance the
simplicity of the coprocessor function vs the extra work of having to have my own FAT, etc.

Thank you for your answers 🙂

0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

1 & 2. Yes, CY67300 comes with BIOS.

3. Yes

4 & 5. See http://www.cypress.com/?rID=14383 mass storage reference design.

6. Depends on your application, internal RAM is only 16KB if your firmware exceeds this you have to go for external RAM.

7. Yes

8. Yes, its possible.

1. Yes

2. Its possible.

3.  See above answer  4&5 .

Thanks

Prajith

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Prajith,

I am a little confused by 4 thru 6 though.

If in coprocessor mode, is there USER FIRMWARE running or not (just BIOS)?  

Thanks,

Mark

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

In coprocessor mode CY7C67300 comes with BIOS. Users can  either use BIOS or can flash firmware, please go through http://www.cypress.com/?docID=17027 for more information.

Thanks

Prajith

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
        niramas, have you been able to successfully create a master routine to act as a mass storage controller ?   
0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Please refer the CY4640 RDk in the link http://www.cypress.com/?rID=14383.It may help you.

Regards,

Vikas.

0 Likes