CY7C65631 power supply max voltage inquiry

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
obsSIO
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First reply posted First question asked

Hello, my lab has an older design for a digitizer which implements the CY7C65631 USB 2.0 Hub. Currently the Vcc, Self Power, /Reset and OVR pins are connected to the output of a 3.3V regulator. Unfortunately I need to increase the output of this regulator to 3.5V for reasons that have nothing to do with the Cypress CY7C65631 part. I have reviewed the data sheet for the part and see that the max supply voltage for operating conditions is 3.45V and the absolute maximum rating is 4.0V. Does operating at just outside the 3.45V range reduce the lifespan of the part? Since the applied voltage would still be < 4.0V I think we should be safe from risking an over voltage failure on the part? I am just trying to get a sense of the risk involved with operating the CY7C65631 part at 3.5V instead of 3.3V.

Thank you

-Sean

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Sean,

Yes, operating HX2LP at 3.5V outside the operating conditions wont cause any damage to the part since its within the absolute maximum ratings. But there is no guarantee that the part will function correctly as per the datasheet specification so it is recommended to have the regulator output within 3.45V.

Best Regards,
Sananya

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Sananya_14
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Sean,

Yes, operating HX2LP at 3.5V outside the operating conditions wont cause any damage to the part since its within the absolute maximum ratings. But there is no guarantee that the part will function correctly as per the datasheet specification so it is recommended to have the regulator output within 3.45V.

Best Regards,
Sananya

0 Likes
obsSIO
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First reply posted First question asked

Thank you Sananya. I appreciate you confirming that 3.5V operation won't damage the CY7C65631 USB 2.0 Hub IC but I understand that it may not function per the datasheet. I will try to stay within the 3.45V supply voltage limit for the part.

cheers,

-Sean