CY7C65631 EEPROM programming on embedded Linux / Android platform

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
kalauffenburger
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hello,

I have essentially the same question that was addressed in this post: CY7C65631 linux compatiblity and few questions.

It has a disposition of solved, but I am not finding the answer in the link to the solution.  The message board would not let me reply directly to that post, so I am re-posting here.

Specifically, I need to know how to perform the in-circuit programming of the EEPROM on an embedded linux target.  I have the CY7C65631 device designed in, with the recommended 25LC040T/SN EEPROM, and I am working now to figure out how to get it programmed.

Here is the response from Sananya:

----------------------------------------------------

Hello,

HX2LP can work on a Linux host since it needs standard hub class drivers which are present with Linux.

The EEPROM doesnt have to be pre-programmed as HX2LP is capable of programming the EEPROM using Blaster utility. You could also eliminate the EEPROM since it has a ROM with default configuration that it can use for boot-up. However, please ensure that the SPI data line has the required pull-down resistor even when not connected. Please refer to 25LC040 which is used in the HX2LP CY4606 DVK.

Yes, an oscillator can also be used instead of the crystal. You can refer to the App Note for clock requirements-https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes-obsolete/an49150-schematic-and-layout-review-checkli...

Best Regards,
Sananya

----------------------------------------------------

0 Likes
1 Solution
MallikaK_22
50 likes received 750 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Ken,

For programming the EEPROM, there is no linux based utility. The only available tool is Blaster Tool which can be used in Windows.

Regards,

Mallika

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
MallikaK_22

Hi,

Please check Page 10 in the HX2LP datasheet: https://www.cypress.com/file/119991/download

The default descriptors are listed there. It is not a necessity to use an EEPROM. You should use it only if customization is required.

Please let me know if you need a custom configuration.

Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes

Mallika,

Thanks for responding to my question.

Yes, I do need a custom configuration, because the power enable outputs (PWR#[1-4] are active-low; but I am using them to directly drive TPS22950YBHR load switches, which are active-high.  So, as I understand it, I will need to program byte 18 such that bit 3 is set.  I may also want to tweak a few other things; three of the ports will be used as external host ports, the fourth port will be dedicated to an on-board LTE device that may sometimes be put into a power-down mode, but I would like to avoid re-enumeration each time it wakes up.

Thanks for your help.

--ken

0 Likes
MallikaK_22

Hi Ken,

For programming the EEPROM, there is no linux based utility. The only available tool is Blaster Tool which can be used in Windows.

Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes
kalauffenburger
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Mallika,

If this is true, then the original post from Sananya is very misleading.  Essentially what I am now understanding is that integration of this device on an embedded Linux product is only possible with severe limitations.

I already have hardware in place so I guess I am left with having to develop my own Linux-based utility for programming the EEPROM.  Can you please provide whatever detailed information is required to do this?  The data sheet I have is not adequate.  I also have application note AN61904 "How HX2LP™ Addresses Byte and Word-Addressable SPI EEPROMs", but this document only discusses how the device accesses the EEPROM for reading the configuration from it, not how to program it.  Please send me information on describing the protocol used for programming the EEPROM and how to manipulate registers of the device as required to do this.

Thank you.

--ken

0 Likes

Mallika,

Is there any chance this information can be made available to me?  My development is completely stalled here.

This development is for a 30K+ piece per year product.

0 Likes
MallikaK_22

Hi,

I have discussed this issue over private message. Kindly check.

Regards,

Mallika

0 Likes