no response using data transfer with cyusb-linux (libusb error)

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
agba_3844561
Level 3
Level 3
5 likes given First like given

I downloaded the SDK from [ezUSB-fx3-SDK](http://www.cypress.com/documentation/software-and-drivers/ez-usb-fx3-software-development-kit)

I start untar all the files and finally I found a instruction I could use in `cyfx3sdk/FX3_SDK_Linux_Support.pdf` I followed the instructions.

I intstalled JAVA 8 instead of 7. The rest was done as said. I didn't do: export CYUSB_ROOT=$HOME/Cypress/cyusb_linux_1.0.5 because it generates problems.

I had the following problem `Gtk-Message: 16:16:03.497: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"` that I solved using `sudo apt-get install libcanberra-gtk-module`.

So far so good. I run `./cyusb_linux` without any messages. The device is found and the blue led is blinking as it is supposed to.

I go to "Data Transfer" and try to read/send packets using the bulk mode:

The first run I get to errors:

LIBUSB_ERROR NO: -1, LIBUSB_ERROR_IO

LIBUSB_ERROR NO: -7, LIBUSB_TIMEOUT

Screenshot from 2018-11-07 16-45-51.png

Screenshot from 2018-11-07 16-45-54.png

The second run I get something on the "Data Out" box and only error -7 appears.

Screenshot from 2018-11-07 16-46-03.png

This are the terminal messages after 2 tries to send the bulk packets.

```

Bytes sent to device = 0

Bytes read from device = 0

Bytes sent to device = 512

Bytes read from device = 0

```

Could somebody help me here? Thank you very much.

PS: I'm using ubuntu 18.04.

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hello,

- To program the FX3 device, the device must be running on the boot-loader firmware. But, from your screenshots, I find that the device is running with the USBBulkSourceSinkLED firmware. To switch the FX3 device into boot-loader mode, connect the jumper J4 on the SuperSpeed Explorer Kit and reset the device. The device comes up with a VID/PID 0x04B4/0x00F3. Please look at the screenshots SS1, SS2 and SS3 in the attachment.

- The USBBulkSourceSinkLED firmware that comes with the SuperSpeed Explorer Kit is not meant for loopback applications and hence is the error that you have mentioned. Please follow the screenshots SS4 and SS5 to successfully send and receive data using the cyusb_linux. In case you wanted to perform loopback applications, please load a firmware that suits the same (Eg. USBBulkLoopAuto firmware that comes with the FX3 SDK).

Best regards,

Srinath S

View solution in original post

5 Replies