Voltage selection with Terasic C5G FPGA Board + FX3 Explorer Kit

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
arnova2
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

We purchased a Terasic C5G FPGA board + FX3 Explorer Kit + Altera HSMC adapter board. According to Terasic's manual the voltage standard for the signals on the HSMC port is 2.5V. But on the FX3 Explorer Kit I can only select either 1.8V or 3.3V (with jumper J2). I already tried to find an answer in the Explorer Kit's manual but was unable to. The question is: What to do? Is the FX3 Explorer board 2.5V tolerant when set for 1.8V I/O operation? Afaik the C5G board is not 3.3V tolerant for 2.5V I/Os, right?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello,

FX3 Explorer kit (CYUSB3KIT -003) doesn't have LDO for 2.5 V. We do not recommend to connect 2.5V I/O to 1.8 I/O of FX3

Please let me know if it is possible to change  the I/O level of the FPGA to 2.5V or can IOs with 3.3 V /1.8V be connected to FX3.

Regards,
Rashi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello,

FX3 Explorer kit (CYUSB3KIT -003) doesn't have LDO for 2.5 V. We do not recommend to connect 2.5V I/O to 1.8 I/O of FX3

Please let me know if it is possible to change  the I/O level of the FPGA to 2.5V or can IOs with 3.3 V /1.8V be connected to FX3.

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes

Thanks for your reply. On the C5G board the I/Os of the HMSC-port are fixed at 2.5V and can't be changed. But after reading the Cyclone V's datasheet it "seems" that specifically at 2.5V the I/Os are 3.3V tolerant. I've tested this and it didn't destroy my FPGA, so apparently this is the way to do it.

0 Likes