Should a new CYUSB3013 device support USB 3.0 without re-programming or configuration?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

What firmware and configuration is installed on CYUSB3013 parts that come directly from Infineon?

While bringing up a board with a new CYUSB3013:

1. It appears that CYUSB golden firmware is only enumerating as a USB2 device. Is there any way to force it to use USB3?

2. Is there a list of what might put or keep an FX3 in USB2 mode?

3. When an FX3 is in USB2 mode, is there any log data stored in the FX3 of attempted USB3 connections? (Step 3.e.ii in Section 6.8 of the TRM indicates a count is maintained for the number of times 3.0 receiver detection failed. Is that count readable externally?)

4. Could there be a Hardware issue? It appears that CYUSB golden firmware does not react properly to cable disconnect. We have a self-powered board that keeps the device powered regardless of USB connection. The behavior is as follows: if the USB cable is connected on power up, the device enumerates as USB2 "Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader Device", as expected. However if I unplug and re-plug the USB cable, I see setup packet timeouts on the bus, as if the device didn't reset its bus address and as a result is not responding to broadcasts... The same happens if I power up the board with the cable disconnected and then connect the cable a few seconds later. Is this by design or did we do something weird with our board? SuperSpeed explorer board is bus-powered so it doesn't have these issues...

5. Is there an Application Note or Best Practices for self-powered devices?

6. Other than PMODE pins, is there a way to control behavior of a new CYUSB3013 device? 

7. Even with PMODE pins, are there combinations that are not documented? Reference Table 1-4 in the TRM.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello,

Please find my comments below

1. It appears that CYUSB golden firmware is only enumerating as a USB2 device. Is there any way to force it to use USB3?

>> From the golden firmware, I understand that you are referring to the  Bootloader . Is that correct? If the PMODE lines are configured for USB Boot (PMODE[2:0] = Z11), the device will boot with the  bootloader (ROM/primary bootloader). The bootloader is expected to enumerate as USB 2.0 device. Every reset causes the device to start executing the bootloader code stored in the internal BootROM. On a full device reset, the Bootloader identifies the desired boot source by checking the state of the PMODE pins. It then initializes the appropriate interface block (GPIF, I2C, SPI, or USB), and then tries to obtain the user firmware image. If the application firmware uses USB 3.0 connection, the device will enumerate as USB 3.0 (provided that the USB connection is successful) when device is programmed with application firmware image.

Please let me know the PMODE line configuration used at your end.

>> I didn't understand the question. Could please elaborate?

3. When an FX3 is in USB2 mode, is there any log data stored in the FX3 of attempted USB3 connections? (Step 3.e.ii in Section 6.8 of the TRM indicates a count is maintained for the number of times 3.0 receiver detection failed. Is that count readable externally?)

>> Please let me know if the device is in USB boot and comes up as "Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader Device". As mentioned earlier, the device will enumerate as USB 2.0 device when device boots with Primary bootloader

4. Please confirm if you see the issue similar to Question 2 of this KBA https://community.cypress.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/Trouble-Shooting-Guide-for-the-FX3-FX3S-CX3... 

5. Please refer to An70707 application note https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an70707-ez-usb-fx3-fx3s-hardware-design-guid... 

7. Please refer to the following app note https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an76405-ez-usb-fx3-fx3s-boot-options#:~:text...

Regards,
Rashi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello,

Please find my comments below

>> From the golden firmware, I understand that you are referring to the  Bootloader . Is that correct? If the PMODE lines are configured for USB Boot (PMODE[2:0] = Z11), the device will boot with the  bootloader (ROM/primary bootloader). The bootloader is expected to enumerate as USB 2.0 device. Every reset causes the device to start executing the bootloader code stored in the internal BootROM. On a full device reset, the Bootloader identifies the desired boot source by checking the state of the PMODE pins. It then initializes the appropriate interface block (GPIF, I2C, SPI, or USB), and then tries to obtain the user firmware image. If the application firmware uses USB 3.0 connection, the device will enumerate as USB 3.0 (provided that the USB connection is successful) when device is programmed with application firmware image.

Please let me know the PMODE line configuration used at your end.

>> I didn't understand the question. Could please elaborate?

>> Please let me know if the device is in USB boot and comes up as "Cypress FX3 USB BootLoader Device". As mentioned earlier, the device will enumerate as USB 2.0 device when device boots with Primary bootloader

4. Please confirm if you see the issue similar to Question 2 of this KBA https://community.cypress.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/Trouble-Shooting-Guide-for-the-FX3-FX3S-CX3... 

5. Please refer to An70707 application note https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an70707-ez-usb-fx3-fx3s-hardware-design-guid... 

7. Please refer to the following app note https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an76405-ez-usb-fx3-fx3s-boot-options#:~:text...

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes

>> The bootloader is expected to enumerate as USB 2.0 device.

This is the culprit. In our use case it would be useful if the bootloader could enumerate as a USB3 device. In other words, we would like to be able to work with factory-fresh FX3 device via USB3. It sounds like it's not supported and I want to confirm that.

Thank you!

0 Likes

Hello,

Yes, as mentioned in AN76405 "In case of USB boot, the bootloader supports only USB 2.0. USB 3.0 is not supported. "

Our assumption was that bootloader should handle VBUS changes internally, resetting itself as needed...

>> As mentioned in the KBA, this is a known issue with the bootloader which happens due to a defect in the device wakeup from low-power suspend mode. You can refer to the workarounds mentioned in the KBA

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes

>> 4. Please confirm if you see the issue similar to Question 2 of this KBA https://community.cypress.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/Trouble-Shooting-Guide-for-the-FX3-FX3S-CX3... 

Yes, this sounds related though in our case there's no "unknown device", FX3 simply does not respond. The board has no VBUS-based reset and FX3 stays powered at all times. Our assumption was that bootloader should handle VBUS changes internally, resetting itself as needed...

0 Likes