How to get USB manufacture before installing the driver?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Ascs_4819156
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Hi Everyone,

I have a special demand.

Now I am using CYUSB3014 to develop the product.  And it could work normally.

But I noticed a small problem. After I connect the device, and before I install the driver. The device also will be recoginzed, and it will have an exclamation mark in device Manager. Now if I open the properties dialog of the device, and I find the manufacture is unknown. But I had fixed the manufacture item in the firmware's description, anyonw knows why? Or how do I make it display the manufacturer even before installing the driver?

Of course, after installing the driver, it will display correctly.

Thanks

Chad

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello chad,

The device manager gets the details of the device once the driver binds to the device. The manufacturer field in the device manager is not from the manufacturer string descriptor. Please refer to this link

The manufacturer field in device manager will not be dependent on the device string descriptor but will be based on the manufacture mentioned by the driver which binds to device

Regards,
Rashi

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
Rashi_Vatsa
5 likes given 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Hello Chad,

Please let me know the reason to get the manufacturer before the driver binding.

Also, please let me know if you are checking the "Details" tab (Properties > Details > manufacturer)  to check the manufacturer of the device.

If yes, if the driver doesn't bind to the device the manufacturer option is not seen in device manager.

But I had fixed the manufacture item in the firmware's description, anyone knows why? 

>> I understand that you tried changing the manufacturer string descriptor CyFxUSBManufactureDscr. Please note that change in manufacturing string descriptors can be seen in Control center (snippet attached) and not in the device manager.

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes

Hi  Rashi,

Like I said, there is no reason for I check this before binding the driver, just curious.

I mean this:

微信图片_20211025195742.jpg

And the AOP50C is my device. I mean this manufacture in the dialog. After binding the driver, it will display normally.

And again, I know this does not affect the product, just curious.

Thanks

Chad

0 Likes

Hello chad,

The device manager gets the details of the device once the driver binds to the device. The manufacturer field in the device manager is not from the manufacturer string descriptor. Please refer to this link

The manufacturer field in device manager will not be dependent on the device string descriptor but will be based on the manufacture mentioned by the driver which binds to device

Regards,
Rashi
0 Likes

Dear  Rashi,

Thanks.

I used to think that, if the system could get the device name, for me, it is AOP50C, So it also should get the manufacturer. But according to the link you provided, it's not.

In a word, it is a result now.

Thanks again for your support~

Best regards,

Chad

0 Likes