Hardware diagnostic on boards using CYUSB3014

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
joba_713601
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

We are using Cypress' CYUSB3014 on a new board we're currently developing.

On our latest assembly run, we have a number of boards that are failing to be recognized by a PC.  What i've noticed are:

- no FX3 UART activity

- pclk (GPIO_16) doesn't toggle

- DP line toggles when USB cable is hooked up, then goes to 3.3V.  On working boards, DP goes to 0V.

Power supply levels are clean. Clock input is OK at 26Mhz .  Reset input is high.

Any suggestion on how i can debug/diagnose the problem?

Many thanks!

0 Likes
8 Replies
alamandaa_16
10 likes received First like received

Hi,

Please share the schematic of failing boards.

Regards,

Anil Srinivas.

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

PDF attached.

0 Likes
lock attach

Voltage filters schematic attached.

0 Likes
lvha_3910906
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I think we have similar problems. My board can't be recognized by the PC in USB mode(PMODE:Z11), so I soldered another piece of EEPROM with firmware and started it from I2C mode(PMODE:Z1Z). I succeeded. You can also Try it first.

0 Likes
lock attach

No luck.  I compared the eeprom contents of both working and non-working boards and they are identical.  The board's PMODE is currently set to Z1Z.

Here's a screenshot of how the USB lines are layed out.

0 Likes

I mean, there is a firmware program inside the EEPROM, not blank (for example, starting the official evaluation board "CYUSBKIT-003" from Z1Z, you will find an "EXAMPLE....." device), you can use the board that can work normally from USB mode (Z11) . After downloading a firmware program to the EEPROM, then solder the EEPROM to a non-working board.

I did this and I can start it successfully. You can also try it and be sure to tell me the result.

0 Likes

We only store IDs on the eeprom so they aren't blank.  A blank eeprom should still come up on windows as a Cypress device right?  These boards are unrecognized even with a blank eeprom.

Please note that we have a number of boards that are working OK, and only 6 are failing to get recognized by Windows and are behaving the way i've described on my first post.

0 Likes

Hi,

The FX3 device enumerats as Benecia device, if the PMODE pins are set to 111. Refer this thread: https://community.cypress.com/thread/30704?q=Cypress%20FX3%20bootloader

Please load the i2cdmamode example firmware to RAM and send commands to write and read it back. Refer readme.txt for more info.

SDK path for the example FW: C:\Program Files (x86)\Cypress\EZ-USB FX3 SDK\1.3\firmware\serialif_examples\cyfxusbi2cdmamode

This confirms whether the EEPROM is working fine.

If EEPROM is working fine and booting is not proper, you need to check with PMODE connections.

your schematic looks fine.

please share the screenshots of what you have noticed error's in assembly run.

Regards,

Anil Srinivas.

0 Likes