FX-3 Ready Flag and Partail Flag setting

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ThM_3776866
Level 4
Level 4
First like received First like given Welcome!

Hai all,

I am working on FX3 cypress. I need to pass the data from Host to External Device (Demod) by using slave FIFO concept but only change is Clock. clock is internal clock.

The GPIF designer as shown in bellow figure.

1.In AN65974 application note given Ready flag takes extra 2 cycle for read transfer from slave FIFO, so that I am using Partial flag as a Data valid signal to Demod device.

2. Read signal is input signal from Demod its tell the BUFFER free in Demod.

3. clock= internal.

4. data bus=16.

Partial_Flag.PNG

water mark value setting:  "CyU3PGpifSocketConfigure (0,CY_U3P_PIB_SOCKET_0,0,CyTrue,1);"

GPIF State machine:

Partial_Flag_state.PNG

Out put wave from:

F0001TEK.BMP

The above figure shows the output wave from of Read data from Host to Demod. packet size is 64.

* Yellow wave is Partial flag signal.

* Blue colour wave is data bus.

Q1. why Partial Flag is asserted Before data came? in Given AN65974 note 0 cycle of start transfer.

Q2. In Given AN65974 note FULL/EMPTY flag takes 0 clock cycle at start of data transfer and 2 clock cycle for end transfer. But When I use Full/Empty flag it takes 2 extra clock cycle for start data transfer and Why?.

Q3. how to check Read Signal from External device in state machine?.

Q4. AN65974 section 8.3 given 3 formula for water mark calculation I listed below which one is correct.

"When writing from an external master to the synchronous Slave FIFO:

(a) The number of data words that may be written after the clock edge at which the partial flag is sampled low =

watermark x (32/bus width) – 4

2. When reading into an external master from the synchronous Slave FIFO:

(a) The number of data words available for reading (while keeping SLOE# asserted) after the clock edge at which

the partial flag is sampled asserted = watermark x (32/bus width) – 1

(b) There is already two-cycle latency from SLRD# to the data. Hence, the number of cycles for which SLRD#

may be kept asserted after the clock edge at which the partial flag is sampled asserted = watermark x (32/bus

width) –3."

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Thrimurthi M

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi Thrimurthi,

I am not getting the system you are trying to design. Could you please draw the block diagram with all the interface signals. And one more thing why are you using DMA_THread1_watermark in the first figure but you are using DMA_READY_TH0 in the GPIF SM. I am unable to understand which thread is used for which purpose. Usually master have to make use of Empty_FLAG to assert SLRD, SLCS & SLOE signals to slave then after getting those signals SLAVE starts sending the data, but in your SM you are driving the data without checking for these signals.

Thanks & Regards
Abhinav

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
abhinavg_21
50 likes received 25 likes received 10 likes received

Hi,

You are sending data coming from Host to external master device via FX3 GPIF. So watermark x (32/bus width) – 1 formula is valid in your case.

-- CyU3PGpifSocketConfigure (0,CY_U3P_PIB_SOCKET_0,0,CyTrue,1);

Please use a valid value for watermark. Zero is not a valid value in this case.

-- how to check Read Signal from External device in state machine?.

While writing a transition equation you will find Read signal in the list of triggers.

Thanks & Regards

Abhinav

0 Likes
ThM_3776866
Level 4
Level 4
First like received First like given Welcome!

Thank you for your answer.

Q1. why the Flag signal is asserted before data arrived. its shown in wave from figure.

The flag signal should be asserted at data comes, this given in slave FIFO note.

Thank You,

Best Regards.

Thrimurthi M

0 Likes

Hi Thrimurthi,

I am not getting the system you are trying to design. Could you please draw the block diagram with all the interface signals. And one more thing why are you using DMA_THread1_watermark in the first figure but you are using DMA_READY_TH0 in the GPIF SM. I am unable to understand which thread is used for which purpose. Usually master have to make use of Empty_FLAG to assert SLRD, SLCS & SLOE signals to slave then after getting those signals SLAVE starts sending the data, but in your SM you are driving the data without checking for these signals.

Thanks & Regards
Abhinav

0 Likes