Debug interface through USB for CX3 + Image sensor application

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrAU_4638336
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 10 sign-ins

Hello,

First of all, I would like to say a big thank you for all the content available through your website and the help that you are giving to the community.
You've made a wonderfull job and I learnt and continue to learn a lot from that!

I'm trying to developp an image sensor firmware using a custom board I also made.

The hardware is pretty much a CYUSB3064 + an OV9782.

I do not have a development board which could allow to debug the OV9782 directly through an UART interface.
However, I do have a CX3 Denebola development kit with an OV5640 which is helping me discovering this firmware creation universe.

All this things are new to me, and it's sometimes taking a bit of time for me to understand the ins and outs without external support.

So the idea for now is to add a USB debug interface to an Image sensor firmware.

Anyway, from that context, I'm currently trying to add the USBDebug (example available in Cypress SDK installation) interface to the CX3RDK_OV5640 example (available online too). After long hours discovering the descriptors and how they work, I have been able to succesfully add a new interface/endpoint to my project.

I can detect that new endpoint through a USB viewer, I was also able to install the same driver than in the bulkloop example and detect the interface in the Control Center.

I'm now blocking on sending DebugPrint messages through this new interface.

It seems that it is not sending anything through this new interface.

First question, is what I'm trying to do feasible?

Second, is my way to do it the correct one?

Third, could I share my project to let you have a look?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution
JayakrishnaT_76
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hello,

According to my understanding, you would like to have a composite device of two interfaces. One for streaming the video and other for debugging the code. If this is the requirement, then it is possible. You can refer to the following KBA to understand how to add a CDC interface to FX3 firmware.

Adding Communication Device Class Interface to FX3 Firmware - KBA229099

The second question of the above KBA mentions how to add CDC interface to UVC firmware (CX3 firmware).

Alternatively, I have posted an example project in response 17 of the following thread for the same requirement.

Stream RAW10 with 24bit output format

This example project was tested on Denebola kit and I was able to see the debug logs without using UART port.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions on this.

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
JayakrishnaT_76
First question asked 1000 replies posted 750 replies posted

Hello,

According to my understanding, you would like to have a composite device of two interfaces. One for streaming the video and other for debugging the code. If this is the requirement, then it is possible. You can refer to the following KBA to understand how to add a CDC interface to FX3 firmware.

Adding Communication Device Class Interface to FX3 Firmware - KBA229099

The second question of the above KBA mentions how to add CDC interface to UVC firmware (CX3 firmware).

Alternatively, I have posted an example project in response 17 of the following thread for the same requirement.

Stream RAW10 with 24bit output format

This example project was tested on Denebola kit and I was able to see the debug logs without using UART port.

Please let me know if you have anymore questions on this.

Best Regards,

Jayakrishna

Best Regards,
Jayakrishna
0 Likes

Hi Jayakrishna,

Thanks a lot for that really quick answer!
That's exactly what I wanted to do.
I tried the project + firmware on my side and it works as expected.

I will deeply study it and get back to you if I have another question!

Thanks,

Greg

0 Likes