which CCG for charging dock style application

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
mraines
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

My application is similar to the CCG3 Charge-Through Dongle, except for some key differences:

• There is only a single USB device and no hub
  • There is an integrated battery

Please see the attached block diagram. This is a space and power constrained application. Which is the best CCG device to use? Is there a benefit to using the CCG3+CCG2 used in the Charge-Through Dongle design, over a dual port IC like the CCG4? Do these devices have enough customization available to control the battery charger (shown as an I2C connection in my block diagram).

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShifangZ_26
10 likes given 250 sign-ins 1000 replies posted

Which is the best CCG device to use?

>> The Best CCG device with sequence will be: PMG1-S3, CCG6DF, CCG5/5C, CCG4, BCR+CCG3PA, CCG3+CCG2. 

The easiest implement with existing example code of SDK: CCG3+CCG2, BCR+CCG3PA, CCG4, CCG5/5C, CCG6DF, PMG1-S3.

Is there a benefit to using the CCG3+CCG2 used in the Charge-Through Dongle design, over a dual port IC like the CCG4?

>> The benefit is example code have already and verified on CCG3+CCG2. 

Do these devices have enough customization available to control the battery charger (shown as an I2C connection in my block diagram).

>> Yes. I2C customizations is allowed and available. 

Best Regards,

Lisa

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
ShifangZ_26

Which is the best CCG device to use?

>> The Best CCG device with sequence will be: PMG1-S3, CCG6DF, CCG5/5C, CCG4, BCR+CCG3PA, CCG3+CCG2. 

The easiest implement with existing example code of SDK: CCG3+CCG2, BCR+CCG3PA, CCG4, CCG5/5C, CCG6DF, PMG1-S3.

Is there a benefit to using the CCG3+CCG2 used in the Charge-Through Dongle design, over a dual port IC like the CCG4?

>> The benefit is example code have already and verified on CCG3+CCG2. 

Do these devices have enough customization available to control the battery charger (shown as an I2C connection in my block diagram).

>> Yes. I2C customizations is allowed and available. 

Best Regards,

Lisa

0 Likes
mraines
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Thank you,

Can you elaborate on the reasons for "Best CCG device"? What makes CCG4 > BCR+CCG3PA > CCG3+CCG2 ? 

0 Likes
ShifangZ_26

The reason is single chip solution, there are not need any external communications (for example, I2C) for US and DS Type-C port information exchange or Sync. 

0 Likes