maximum allowable current value of 31pin VBUS-C of CYPM311

Announcements

Live Webinar: USB-C adoption. Simple & Cost-efficient solutions | April 18th @9am or 5pm CEST. Register now !

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
SoU_4942226
Level 5
Level 5
Distributor - Macnica (Japan)
50 questions asked 100 sign-ins 50 replies posted

Since I am considering the Artwork design of PMG1-S3 (CYPM1311),

Please tell me the maximum allowable current value of 31pin VBUS-C of CYPM311.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello,

I just get the information from our design team. Your understanding is right. The maximum current will never exceed 200mA.

Best regards.
Kieran

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
Kieran_Pan
250 sign-ins 10 likes received First question asked

Hello,

We have received your question very well.
Once I get the answer,  I will give you the feedback as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Kieran

0 Likes
Kieran_Pan
250 sign-ins 10 likes received First question asked

Hello,

The VBUS_C_P0 pin is VBUS Input for the Chip . The 28V VBUS regulator is connected to this VBUS_C_P0 pin.  The PMG1_S3 can also be powered from VSYS.

Kieran_Pan_1-1678258193254.png

So the current drawn on the VBUS_C pin is based on whether the device is dead battery powered or if it is externally powered through VSYS .

Are you trying to understand what is the maximum current this 28-V VBUS regulator can provide or are you trying to under what is the maximum current Provided by the Type-C VBUS which is connected to the VBUS_C pin ?

Best regards,
Kieran

0 Likes
SoU_4942226
Level 5
Level 5

We are trying to under what is the maximum current Provided by the Type-C VBUS which is connected to the VBUS_C pin

0 Likes

Hello,

I am sorry to confuse you. That means PIN31(VBUS_C_P0) connected to VBUS pin of Type-C port.

While the regulator can provide up to 60mA, it is purely for powering up PMG1-S3 and can be used for the Pull up of the GPIO etc.
This Regulator output can never be used to power another device itself . It is only meant for powering PMG1-S3 .

Best regards,
Kieran

0 Likes
SoU_4942226
Level 5
Level 5

The question is not about the output characteristics of the internal regulator. 

>PIN31(VBUS_C_P0) connected to VBUS pin of Type-C port. 

Simply, I just want to know the MAX current value of PIN31 (VBUS_C_P0) when connecting the above (ex. VBUS power = 28V/5A). This is to determine the line width of PIN31 under the above conditions in the case of ArtW.

0 Likes

Hello,

So you mean the current out of the chip just like the following picture, right?

Kieran_Pan_0-1678350214984.png

Best regards,
Kieran

0 Likes
SoU_4942226
Level 5
Level 5

So you mean the current out of the chip just like the following picture, right?
>Yes.

0 Likes
NoAr_1540581
Level 5
Level 5
5 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 100 replies posted

Any updates?Please tell me the maximum current value of Pin31, This information is necessary for Pin31's ArtWork, and it is only necessary to determine the line width of Pin31, so there is no problem with the expected maximum current value when VBUS is 28V/5A(EPR).

Best Regards

0 Likes

Hello,

I have talked with our design team. Once I get the answer, I will give the feedback to you as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Kieran

0 Likes
NoAr_1540581
Level 5
Level 5
5 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 100 replies posted

Hello Kieran san

Even at EPR (140W: 28V/5A), I understand that the current at Pin 31 will never exceed 200mA, but would it be possible for you to answer today whether or not my understanding is correct? 

Best Regards

0 Likes

Hello,

I just get the information from our design team. Your understanding is right. The maximum current will never exceed 200mA.

Best regards.
Kieran

0 Likes